Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOSMonterey install freezes

I have downloaded Monterey on my iMac and it is installing. However it keeps freezing with "less than one minute remaining" I can’t do anything with the computer whilst this is happening. I have tried rebooting twice but have the same problem.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 9:18 AM

Okay. Then lets wait to see if it works after an hour or so and if not, please power down by holding the power button. Then after a couple of minutes restart and continue holding the power button for about 15 seconds.

Also, what is the model year and display size of your iMac?

9 replies

Jan 25, 2022 9:39 AM in response to pjn2767

It is likely a 21.5" model. If you bought a base model (21.5" with 8GB of RAM and a 1 TB HD) those computers are VERY VERY slow to do anything due to the HD's installed. Those HD's were 5400 RPM HD's and that was the primary bottleneck in speed to an otherwise pretty good computer. What I am saying is, please just be patient the computer may need a lot more time than 1 hour to finish installing. I would recommend waiting 4-6 hours to at least give it enough time.

Jan 25, 2022 2:30 PM in response to pjn2767

Very happy to hear that. On your next Mac (assuming you buy a new Mac) it will have a SSD which will make it DRAMATICALLY quicker. When you are ready for your next new Mac please buy with at least 16GB of RAM and the largest capacity SSD you can afford. ALWAYS base your purchase on your needs and not the price. You wouldn't buy a 1 bedroom house if you had a family of 5 would you?

MacOSMonterey install freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.