Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the chime that sounds every time I open my Macbook Air?

I want to eliminate the chime that sounds every time I open my laptop, without having to hit mute before closing it. I'm fine with the startup sound, but I don't want to hear the chime every time I open the screen. Where is the setting for this?

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 8:19 AM

Hello clark4131,

Can you describe this other sound in any further detail? Do you use an Apple Watch to help automatically unlock your Mac? Does this still happen after manually quitting all open apps as well?

Also, if you open up the Sound preferences, try toggling off "Play user interface sound effects". Any change? 

If so, if you restart your Mac in safe mode, does the same sound still occur? How to use safe mode on your Mac This can help rule out any other third-party causes. 

Certainly keep us posted, we’re here for you every step of the way.

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 8:19 AM in response to clark4131

Hello clark4131,

Can you describe this other sound in any further detail? Do you use an Apple Watch to help automatically unlock your Mac? Does this still happen after manually quitting all open apps as well?

Also, if you open up the Sound preferences, try toggling off "Play user interface sound effects". Any change? 

If so, if you restart your Mac in safe mode, does the same sound still occur? How to use safe mode on your Mac This can help rule out any other third-party causes. 

Certainly keep us posted, we’re here for you every step of the way.

Take care.

Jan 26, 2022 1:42 PM in response to clark4131

Hello there clark4131,

Thanks for posting here on the Apple Support Communities! This is a place where other Apple users can submit questions or respond to others to help lend a hand. Let's take a closer look as we do our best to provide some additional insight.

We see you're trying to disable the start-ip chime on your Mac. To get started, did you already follow all of the steps in the resource at the top of this page that brought you here? 

Here's that same resource for reference: Turn the Mac startup sound on or off Be sure to note that if your Mac does not support macOS Big Sur or later, then you won't be able to turn it off.

We hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Take care.

How do I turn off the chime that sounds every time I open my Macbook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.