Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

malware pop up "will damage your computer"

I got a new computer with macOS Monterey, and I'm basically unable to use it due to pop-ups saying that applications I have used a million times "will damage my computer". It gives me the option to move it to the trash or cancel. I'm also unable to use a browser based application for an electronic medical record (Epic) because of the same pop-up, rendering my new computer useless for work. It does not allow any option to accept the risk and continue anyway. Any ideas/suggestions for how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 1:38 PM

Likey a browser hijack.

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

A lot of times just boot to Safe Mode followed by normal boot resolves problems.

3 replies

Jan 26, 2022 12:09 AM in response to ilovemymac_yesido

If you have migrated your apps from an older Mac to your new machine then you may be running into issues caused by the old apps not conforming to the security environment requirements that are now standard on macOS.

In most cases this can be overcome by a few extra steps when opening apps for the first time, after which the apps will open without further warnings, and a one-time change to the Security and Privacy settings in System Preferences.

Please review this Apple document for specific guidance on how to deal with this issue:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

HTH.

Will.

Jan 26, 2022 1:56 AM in response to ilovemymac_yesido

ilovemymac_yesido wrote:

I got a new computer with macOS Monterey, and I'm basically unable to use it due to pop-ups saying that applications I have used a million times "will damage my computer". It gives me the option to move it to the trash or cancel. I'm also unable to use a browser based application for an electronic medical record (Epic) because of the same pop-up, rendering my new computer useless for work. It does not allow any option to accept the risk and continue anyway. Any ideas/suggestions for how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Specifically what Application by name.

Has the user verified with the Developers of this software for updates or upgrades that would make this application compatible with Monterey. One may would to factor in , new computer might be the Apple Silicon M1 ARMs based and thus some application that worked before do not work now.

malware pop up "will damage your computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.