Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seeing hard drive on iPad

iPadOS 15.2.1 - I am trying to use the Files app to copy files from an external hard drive onto my iPad but I don't see any indication of the iPad seeing the hard drive. I am connecting it through a powered USB hub...any suggestions?

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 2:54 PM

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single partition. Microsoft NTFS is not supported. Formatting and partitioning, if required, must be performed using a separate computer; iPad does not provide any facilities to format an external storage device.

As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required.

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may still need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2022 2:54 PM in response to iPad-connecting-hard-drive

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT, APFS or HFS+ with a single partition. Microsoft NTFS is not supported. Formatting and partitioning, if required, must be performed using a separate computer; iPad does not provide any facilities to format an external storage device.

As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required.

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may still need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

Some additional information can be found here:

Connect external devices or servers with Files on iPhone - Apple Support

https://www.imore.com/how-use-external-hard-drives-your-iphone-or-ipad

Seeing hard drive on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.