Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor randomly goes black for a few seconds

I have read this question in other posts but wanted to add mine. I upgraded my 2021 iMac to Monterey (12.1) and have just noticed that very randomly, the 2nd monitor (BenQ EW327OU) just goes black for a couple of seconds. Nothing is lost, and it returns to the exact screen that was on before. I rebooted, and the same thing, although completely random, happens. I have been using Premiere a lot so I've noticed it with that program running, but I can't say that's the reason...its just that's what I've been using mostly.

This did not happen when this computer was running Catalina just last month. I'll update if any info changes.

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 5:43 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 29, 2022 6:36 AM in response to Jack-19

• Unfortunately, this isn't helpful. As I mentioned, the 2nd monitor goes black for just a couple of seconds, It returns without affecting any programs I may be running. I looked up the specs for my iMac and it says it supports two 3840-by-2160 (4K UHD) external displays at 60Hz with support for 1 billion colors. I am running my 3rd monitor ( old Acer CB280HK) but it only runs at 30Hz. Since this worked fine under Catalina I can only surmise that upgrading to Monterey is the issue. So what display settings were changed that need to be looked at?

Feb 14, 2022 12:00 PM in response to Rick Lavon1

I had my external display exhibit the occasional blackout recently and I found it was a loose cable connection. I reseated both ends and the problem hasn’t reoccurred. I suggest trying reseating the current cable or even trying a replacement. If you are using a hub, try a different one as Monterey has had problems with some hubs.

External monitor randomly goes black for a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.