Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Photos from external hard drive

I am unable to open Photos (version 4.0) from my external hard drive on my new mac, Photos (version 6.0). It displays "You can’t use this version of the application “Photos” with this version of macOS". But I can't downgrade the new current version of Photos. What can I do to fix this? It seems like my only solution is to find a mac that has version 4.0 to retrieve my photos but that is difficult.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 2:20 AM

I have, it doesn't work. The Photos on my external drive has a crossed out symbol on the application, so it does not appear as an option to open.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 26, 2022 5:21 AM in response to jocyxx

The app doesn't hold your photos - regardless of what it says about the size. Unless you have separately copied the library onto the external drive (how did you copy the app if the old mac is broken?)

Regarding the ExFAT format - that is not compatible for a photos library - so when you find a way to to get your library off your old mac you will want to reformat the drive so it is compatible as described above. You do that using the disc utility app on your mac. Note that formatting it will erase it, so copy everything off it first. Alternatively you can get a second external drive, and format that for the library instead.

Regarding your old mac:

In what way is it broken? Does it not work at all, or does it just fail to boot?

what mac is it (full model number). If it has a physical hard drive that can be removed (rather than soldered in SSD) it may be possible to remove the drive and connect it to your new mac to get the photos off it. You would probably need help with this unless you are familiar with working with computer hardware.

Alternatively - were you using iCloud photos? If so, your photos may still be safe in iCloud. If you don't know, you can check by logginng into www.icloud.com with your apple ID and looking in the photos section.

Jan 26, 2022 2:26 AM in response to jocyxx

Hi

Is it a photos library on your external drive? Or an old copy of the photos app? The app doesn't hold your photos, the library holds it. If it is a crossed out app, it will be from an older version of MacOS and not able to open with this version. Is there also a library on the external drive?

If not you need to copy the library from your old mac - normally called photos library.photoslibrary (assuming you've not renamed it or created a second library) and normally stored in the pictures folder. Your new version of photos can open and upgrade the library from the old version.

Regarding the external drive - is it correctly formatted for a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives). If you have not formatted it after purchase it will most likely be ExFat - which is not compatible.

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It must be directly connected (No ethernet or wifi)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Jan 26, 2022 2:43 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your response. I just checked that my external drive is ExFat, do you mind explaining more about this (if it's an issue)? And yes, I believe I just moved the photos app instead of the library. However, my old mac is broken so I am unable to copy the library. Have I lost all my photos or are there other ways to recover them?

If I click get info, it indicates the size 53,004,202 bytes (950.8 MB on disk). So it certainly still holds all my photos but I just need a mac that is compatible. Would it be possible to downgrade? Please let me know!

Can't open Photos from external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.