Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Photos iCloud sync not working?

Ive just set up an empty photos-library and wait for it to sync with my iCloud account photos. the albums are synced - as far as i can see. All other photos not - I just see the wording "Aktualisieren ..." - for 6 hours now - and nothing happens (no network traffic). What should I do?

Regards, Robert

MacBook Pro 17″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 9:55 AM

That volume is showing as only 10GB - not big enough, I think for your library. If it is a sparse bundle that will grow as needed, I'm not sure how photos will handle that.

I'd suggest as an immediate check, moving the library to the standard location (your pictures folder), and seeing if it will sync from there (you'll need to set it as the system library again if you move it).

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2022 9:55 AM in response to RobRoy2709

That volume is showing as only 10GB - not big enough, I think for your library. If it is a sparse bundle that will grow as needed, I'm not sure how photos will handle that.

I'd suggest as an immediate check, moving the library to the standard location (your pictures folder), and seeing if it will sync from there (you'll need to set it as the system library again if you move it).

Jan 26, 2022 9:11 AM in response to RobRoy2709

I notice your library is on an external drive - is it correctly formatted for a photos library?

It must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for spinning drives). If you have not formatted it after purchase it will most likely be ExFat - which is not compatible.

It Must not be (or have been) used for time machine. (A time machine drive can be used if re-formatted)

It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked.

It must be directly connected (No ethernet or wifi)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Jan 26, 2022 1:53 PM in response to RobRoy2709

It obviously needs to be at least as big as the library you are going to sync into it. Sometimes (if doing a full re-sync) it needs to be quite a bit bigger, because iCloud photos are downloaded for comparison with the local library. I don't know how much bigger is needed for that.

But why do you need to create a separate volume for it at all. Why not just keep it in the pictures folder?

Jan 26, 2022 11:17 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Well I had a 76GB library on my mac and wanted to reduce the space used.

So I had it sync to iCloud (which it automatically has been) and then resync it to an empty - limited to 20gb - library.

It now just uses around 700mb of space in the 20gb share - and i see all my photos and films in there.

I expect iCloud to manage the local vs. cloud space.

In the future trough this solution, my photo media will at max use 20gb of my drives space.

--> I think, this would be a good solution for other users that want to reduce their iCloud media local hd memory usage.

Jan 27, 2022 12:23 AM in response to RobRoy2709

OK - I see what you are trying to do.

Typically an "optimised" library (I see from the screenshots above that you have that selected) needs between 10 to 20% of the full library size. This is for thumbnails, previews, and the database. Often it will start out much smaller, but grow as you use the library and more resources are created. So your 76GB optimised library may end up needing up to 7.6GB just for the local part. Photos can only manage local space by removing downloaded originals. If your library grows beyond 200GB, it is possible you will need more than 20GB for the local resources - at which point photos will stop working correctly. Just something to be aware of for the future.

MacOS Photos iCloud sync not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.