You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to use an external battery, MacBook ProM1

I just bought a MacBookPro M1. These days the electricity went out, I wanted to connect it to an external battery, but it did not charge it. I bought a one-port adapter (no multiports) to connect it directly and it doesn't work . How can I do in those cases?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 6:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 6:31 AM

what you are describing is not possible. The Mac does not charge simply by having a voltage asserted at its connectors.

MacBook Pro use a power source that supports USB Power Delivery or its MagSafe equivalent.

The power supply responds to a query from the computer about its capabilities, and if agreeable, the COMPUTER selects an option and tells the Power supply to supply power at that combination of Voltage and current.

There are power banks that support USB Power Delivery, and are sold as directly compatible with MacBook Pro. Makes sure you get one comparable to the output of your Apple power adapter.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2022 6:31 AM in response to GabyaCR

what you are describing is not possible. The Mac does not charge simply by having a voltage asserted at its connectors.

MacBook Pro use a power source that supports USB Power Delivery or its MagSafe equivalent.

The power supply responds to a query from the computer about its capabilities, and if agreeable, the COMPUTER selects an option and tells the Power supply to supply power at that combination of Voltage and current.

There are power banks that support USB Power Delivery, and are sold as directly compatible with MacBook Pro. Makes sure you get one comparable to the output of your Apple power adapter.

Trying to use an external battery, MacBook ProM1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.