Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the difference between an apple ID and icloud ID

my new phone is all confused. It is signed into my icloud ID. None of my contacts have transferred. If I sign out to sign into my apple ID it wants to erase everything. I need support.

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 9:32 AM

In general an iCloud ID is an Apple ID in and of itself. Normally one would use the same combination of email address and password for both the iTunes / App stores and iCloud, however, you can have different Apple IDs for the iTunes / App Stores and iCloud.

If your contacts are tied to your other account, then that's the one that needs to be logged in to iCloud to get them down, or be added as an email address only in Settings->Contacts->Accounts.

When changing iCloud IDs, you will be asked if you wish to maintain the data from the old ID on the device. You can say yes so nothing gets removed from the device. All data will still be maintained in iCloud on the other account regardless of your choice.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2022 9:32 AM in response to pheeki65

In general an iCloud ID is an Apple ID in and of itself. Normally one would use the same combination of email address and password for both the iTunes / App stores and iCloud, however, you can have different Apple IDs for the iTunes / App Stores and iCloud.

If your contacts are tied to your other account, then that's the one that needs to be logged in to iCloud to get them down, or be added as an email address only in Settings->Contacts->Accounts.

When changing iCloud IDs, you will be asked if you wish to maintain the data from the old ID on the device. You can say yes so nothing gets removed from the device. All data will still be maintained in iCloud on the other account regardless of your choice.

what is the difference between an apple ID and icloud ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.