Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

webloc extension

why do all webloc extensions open in Safari? Can I change them?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 12:34 PM

If you just double click one, the default is Safari. Oddly, you can't change this file type with Get Info. But there's nothing to stop you from opening one in (for example) Firefox. You can drag and drop the .webloc file into an open Firefox window/tab, or right click on the .webloc file and choose Firefox.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2022 12:34 PM in response to Jay Gamel

If you just double click one, the default is Safari. Oddly, you can't change this file type with Get Info. But there's nothing to stop you from opening one in (for example) Firefox. You can drag and drop the .webloc file into an open Firefox window/tab, or right click on the .webloc file and choose Firefox.

Jan 26, 2022 12:58 PM in response to Jay Gamel

Sorry, I have macOS 12.2 and Big Sur 11.6.3, not Mojave in front of me. The solution is as I stated for these two operating systems because I tested it before posting. I don't have Catalina in the house.

I just powered up my Late-2013 iMac running Mojave 10.14.6 and everything I described in the first post also works correctly there. Even dragging and dropping the .webloc file onto a Firefox Dock icon opens it in Firefox.

webloc extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.