Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wipe and iMac and reinstall MacOs

I have an iMac of 2012? Vintage. I've wiped the drive, by restart and holding down the Command/R keys, then chose to erase the drive. I tried restarting ... same process ... then choose reinstall OS. It goes through the process then finally stops and says not able to do ... what am I doing wrong?

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 12:52 PM

The correct process to wipe the internal drive is pretty straight forward:

• Restart in the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup)
  • Open Disk Utility and Erase and format the internal drive as APFS
  • Next exit Disk Utility while still in the Recovery Partition and then install Mac OS onto the internal drive and when it has finished reboot to test.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2022 12:52 PM in response to mandellive

The correct process to wipe the internal drive is pretty straight forward:

• Restart in the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup)
  • Open Disk Utility and Erase and format the internal drive as APFS
  • Next exit Disk Utility while still in the Recovery Partition and then install Mac OS onto the internal drive and when it has finished reboot to test.

Jan 26, 2022 12:47 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Should I have been in the recovery partition? Which I assume is the Command/R keys during restart. Was no hard drive issue before I erased the drive. Could it be that it is trying to do El Capitan? I know I had it had started way back ... maybe Maverick until finally at El Capitan as the latest. Honestly, it went for 45 minutes of software loading before it pooped out.

Wipe and iMac and reinstall MacOs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.