Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete an app on a mac

How can I delete an App on a MacBook Monterey 12.1? The Apple Support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202235. mentions using Launchpad, but I can find that either.

I tried to submit a comment on that page, but that does not work either (And I was logged in)!!!!!

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 10:01 AM

It also depends on the actual app, the name of which you haven't provided. Some apps have customized uninstaller apps in lieu of just dragging the app to the Trash.

And, you've posted to the wrong forum area for MacBook Airs. This one is specifically for 12" Retina MacBooks, discontinued 3 years ago.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 10:01 AM in response to alfromottawa

It also depends on the actual app, the name of which you haven't provided. Some apps have customized uninstaller apps in lieu of just dragging the app to the Trash.

And, you've posted to the wrong forum area for MacBook Airs. This one is specifically for 12" Retina MacBooks, discontinued 3 years ago.

Feb 7, 2022 6:38 PM in response to alfromottawa

CleanMyMac X is a controversial app on these forums due to its aggressive marketing. That said, it is published in Apple's App Store.

I'm still trying out the app myself, and for now I can say that their Applications Uninstaller seems safe to use. It clearly discloses the files it wishes to delete, and lets you choose if you want to preserve any files it selected for deletion. Also, it may let you reset certain third-party apps by deleting all of their settings and internal data, while still preserving the app itself.

As for the rest of CleanMyMac X, here's what I would advise for now:

• Stay away from the Smart Scan feature, unless you're very familiar with the app, how it works, and what it does. It is safer to treat apps as tools or utilities, where you are in full control.

• If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, don't use the Shredder. The Secure Enclave already applies per-file encryption, and every file is already securely erased simply by deleting it and emptying the Trash (which destroys that file's encryption keys). Also, the Shredder can perform unnecessary writes, which isn't healthy for an SSD (AFAIK).

• Space Lens seems like a great feature that can help identify large areas of used space (especially if Apple menu -> About This Mac -> Storage is showing a lot of "Other" or "System Data"). However, don't use it to delete any files. Instead, identify which app the files belong to, then use that app to safely delete those files. For more info, see this user tip: What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

• Large and Old Files also seems great, but exercise caution in what you choose to delete.

• Mail Attachments, Trash Bins, Uninstaller, Updater, and Extensions seem safe to use. Probably Malware Removal as well, but a lot of us here recommend the free version of Malwarebytes instead.

• Stay away from the rest of the features (especially System Junk, which deletes important caches) unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Feb 4, 2022 10:28 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

Seconded. Many third-party apps distributed outside of the Mac App Store often install content in system-type folders (such as /Library or ~/Library), and it can be difficult to find all of the remnants without a proper uninstaller. A third-party cleaning app could help, but those should be used with extreme caution.

Feb 6, 2022 6:14 AM in response to Encryptor5000

Thanks Lanny & Encryptor, Did a few search & found 'Cleanmymac x' a program to do just that. I have not made up my mind yet as you mentioned "proceed with extreme caution" is a must & to do that, you need a very good knowledge of the Mac terminology & ways of doing thing (I am not there yet, just figure out how to cut & paste after 2 years of struggling).

How do I delete an app on a mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.