Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pin Dock in Multi-Monitor configuration

How can I pin the dock to a specific monitor. When I am using my computer, I sometimes position the mouse in the lower portion of a monitor to move a window. In doing so, It sometimes relocates the dock to this monitor. This is not what I intended.

I have the laptop primary monitor, which is where I would like the dock position (at the bottom). I have two external monitors. I am currently running Monterey 12.0.1.

Is there a setting to pin the dock to a specific monitor? In my scenario, I would like it pinned to the laptop monitor.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 8:05 AM

doughock wrote:

How can I pin the dock to a specific monitor. When I am using my computer, I sometimes position the mouse in the lower portion of a monitor to move a window. In doing so, It sometimes relocates the dock to this monitor. This is not what I intended.

I have the laptop primary monitor, which is where I would like the dock position (at the bottom). I have two external monitors. I am currently running Monterey 12.0.1.

Is there a setting to pin the dock to a specific monitor? In my scenario, I would like it pinned to the laptop monitor.

Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple ...

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2022 8:05 AM in response to doughock

doughock wrote:

Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple ...

Feb 22, 2022 3:15 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy,

The link you provided to not offer a solution to pinning the Dock on the bottom of my primary monitor (laptop screen). I understand from my readings that it is possible to pin the Dock to left and right, however it does not seem like Apple has provided a way to pin to the bottom which happens to be the default location. Very interesting that they have overlooked this usage scenario.

Feb 22, 2022 3:38 PM in response to doughock

Basically, you have it backwards. They do not pin the Left/Right side. Left/Right never floated.

Apple did not provide for moving the Left or Right side Dock. It is always on the default monitor.

Where as, Apple added code that allowed the Dock when on the bottom of the screen to move to another monitor.

You could try turning off [_] Displays have separate Spaces, in the System Preferences -> Mission Control. When I had equal sized monitors that was a cool effect, but it is not for me these days.

And personally, I prefer my Dock on the Left side. It gives me more vertical space for my windows. But I understand that is not what you desire.

Feb 23, 2022 3:11 AM in response to doughock

If the Dock is positioned at the bottom and hidden, it will appear on any display if you move the cursor down that area. You could keep it showing all the time (though it is a waste of screen real estate). I keep it on one side, hidden.

You can also increase the time before the Dock shows. This can reduce the occurrence at the expense of taking a second or two when you actually want the Dock to appear.

I have done that, since I never even use the Dock. I’d have to look up the exact defaults command to make it happen.

Pin Dock in Multi-Monitor configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.