You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have MacBook Pro m1 most of people said don't turn off your device its damage battery is it true?

I have MacBook Pro m1 most of people said don't turn off your device its damage battery is it true?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 1:03 PM

If you force it to do an emergency power-off, nothing gets put away properly. This is not recommended.

When you are finished using your MacBook Pro for the day, many Users choose ShutDown off the Apple menu. This will put everything away in an orderly fashion, and turn most functions off. No damage will result. Your MacBook Pro will be ready to start fresh again when you start it up later.

You can ShutDown whenever you like. Six times in a row if you like. No damage will result.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2022 1:03 PM in response to talhaairshad

If you force it to do an emergency power-off, nothing gets put away properly. This is not recommended.

When you are finished using your MacBook Pro for the day, many Users choose ShutDown off the Apple menu. This will put everything away in an orderly fashion, and turn most functions off. No damage will result. Your MacBook Pro will be ready to start fresh again when you start it up later.

You can ShutDown whenever you like. Six times in a row if you like. No damage will result.

Jan 28, 2022 6:28 AM in response to SWATofGB

If you were to do that, your computer would be in tip-top shape, and the battery would still have a long way to go before it needs replacement.

Operate your computer with the power adapter when possible. It performs faster and better when you do. The computer uses "smart charging" and in the case of the most recent MacBook Pro models, VERY smart charging. It will never overcharge.

When you must operate it on battery alone, go ahead and do so. Try not to run it down extremely low, as that can shorten battery life.

a lot of what you read on the Internet is just one person's unverified ideas. Those ideas could be goofy, or may not apply any more. When I post something here, if it is not accurate other Readers will be setting me straight in less than a day.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.