Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change date on a photo

Before I updated to Monterey (in January 2022), my photos were putting themselves in smart albums by year. Now with the update, they are no longer in the smart albums! So, how can I manually change the dates of the photos to get them sorted by year again?

Background: I scanned over 1,000 photos dating from 1986-2000 and when I scanned them in, I saved them to Photos, typing the year into the file name under handwritten. Magically (before Monterey) this put them in the correct smart album.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 12:46 AM

Right - so now you need to:

1 - look at the filename as it is shown in photos (Click on one of the images, and hit CMD-I (for the info pane) does the filename look like what you expect

2 - For that photo, right click the smart album and see what it says about the conditions for that smart album. It might look something like this:

If you can reply with the filename and the condition within the smart album (screenshots would be best - CMD-SHIFT-4), we should be able to work out what is going on.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 12:46 AM in response to rita2012

Right - so now you need to:

1 - look at the filename as it is shown in photos (Click on one of the images, and hit CMD-I (for the info pane) does the filename look like what you expect

2 - For that photo, right click the smart album and see what it says about the conditions for that smart album. It might look something like this:

If you can reply with the filename and the condition within the smart album (screenshots would be best - CMD-SHIFT-4), we should be able to work out what is going on.

Jan 27, 2022 4:55 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you so much for your quick response!

So when I wrote my original message I was on my laptop and the terminology used was "Handwritten." So forget about that as I do my scanning from my phone! I shouldn't have confused the issue by using my laptop.

The scanning software I use is easier to use on my phone so that's what I've been doing.

I scan the image:

Then I click Share/Save and I get this screen:

Right under "File Name," where it says, "Photo.....," is where I would type in the year (on the desktop version, this is where it says "Handwritten"... but that's neither here nor there!)>

Then I would save it to Photos. As I said earlier, before Monterey, it was putting these photos in what I think are smart albums:

Since I upgraded to Monterey, the photos are now just in my library and not in the year folder.

change date on a photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.