Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I copy 1 TB from my external drive to the iCloud?

I have 2 TERRABYTES of iCLOUD. My MACBOOK PRO has a 500 GB SSD. I try to copy files from my external drive to the iCloud, but it doesn't let me. Because my MACBOOK's free space is not as big as the size of the folders that I want to copy. Any solution?

Do you know any hack/solution to this problem? THANKS.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 5:35 AM

A couple of things to keep in mind: 1) iCloud is not a backup service, and 2) the act of copying between your external drive and anywhere else requires at minimum, the same amount of temporary storage on the startup drive that the operating system can use to service the copy request. There is no working around the limitation of your 500GB internal SSD, except to make much smaller copy requests to iCloud.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 5:35 AM in response to CORNELOS

A couple of things to keep in mind: 1) iCloud is not a backup service, and 2) the act of copying between your external drive and anywhere else requires at minimum, the same amount of temporary storage on the startup drive that the operating system can use to service the copy request. There is no working around the limitation of your 500GB internal SSD, except to make much smaller copy requests to iCloud.

Jan 28, 2022 3:16 AM in response to CORNELOS

iCloud is an interactive service between your local Mac's iCloud Drive folder and iCloud and is limited as you have found.

You can try direct uploads by opening iCloud.com. I've never tried to upload anything near that large. I hope you have a very fast upload rate; for home users in my locale, upload speeds is quite slow. I have a 300 Mbps download line, but upload is around 10-12 Mbps.

How can I copy 1 TB from my external drive to the iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.