Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not importing Olympus RAW files

I shoot with Olympus micro four thirds cameras which use a RAW format with filename extension of .ORF. I normally use Olympus Workspace to edit my photos and have not been using Photos to organize them until I tried a test case a few days ago.

When I try to import these .ORF files from an SD card, Photos properly creates a folder but there are no files actually imported into the folder.

When I import .JPEG files from the SD card, it works perfectly...unless there are also any .ORF files on the card!!!

I had assumed Photos didn't support RAW but another Olympus shooter tells me he imports his RAW files all the time, so I checked in Apple Support and found the list of supported cameras for RAW import and all my cameras are on the list.

What's going on here?

iMac 27", mid-2011, 2.7G i5 quad core, 16GB RAM

Photos v3.0 (3291.13.230)

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 12:35 AM

Here is the raw support list for High Sierra:

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

As you state, your EM10 is supported. Don't bother trying with the EM1 III - it won't work.

Rather than looking in the folder that photos creates, have you tried looking in the all photos view. Alternatively if something is being imported it will show at the end of the list in the in the imports folder.

Also do you have the "copy items to library" option selected in settings? And are you selecting the items you want to import and then clicking import selected? Or are you clicking import all new items? If the latter, are they being listed as new items?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 12:35 AM in response to mudbucker

Here is the raw support list for High Sierra:

Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

As you state, your EM10 is supported. Don't bother trying with the EM1 III - it won't work.

Rather than looking in the folder that photos creates, have you tried looking in the all photos view. Alternatively if something is being imported it will show at the end of the list in the in the imports folder.

Also do you have the "copy items to library" option selected in settings? And are you selecting the items you want to import and then clicking import selected? Or are you clicking import all new items? If the latter, are they being listed as new items?

Jan 27, 2022 4:06 PM in response to Yer_Man

I understand it's not by brand...I read the list and my OMD E-M10 is there but my OMD E-M5mkIII is not (mkII is) becasue it didn't exist when High Sierra was the current OS. I've imported JPEGs successfully going back to 2015 when I got the E-M10. They were actually imported into iPhoto at the time. When I started shooting RAW around 2017, I worked with the Olympus Workspace software and stopped importing JPEGs into iPhoto. Since that time, with OS updates my iMac finally installed Photos and the iPhoto Library was converted.

When I do Review for Import I can see the images from the .ORF files from either camera, which means Photos can indeed read the files but the files never show up in the folder that Photos creates.

Photos not importing Olympus RAW files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.