Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems connecting my MacBook Pro to a iMac as a Display

I've tried turning my HDMI device off and on but still I can't see my device among the Display options. I'm trying to connect my MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) to my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) using an HDMI/HDMI cord and an HDMI/Thunderbolt connector. But none of the devices recognize the HDMI Cable. Any word on what can I do?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 3:33 PM

Sorry but what you are attempting to do will not work. Please read Target Display Mode and you will find that will not work and because your 2013 iMac is too old to run Monterey so you cannot use AirPlay. The bottom line is you are out of luck. You may want to research if there are third party solutions. However if I was in your shoes, if your MBP needs an external display, please just buy one.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 3:33 PM in response to NinaMarqueti

Sorry but what you are attempting to do will not work. Please read Target Display Mode and you will find that will not work and because your 2013 iMac is too old to run Monterey so you cannot use AirPlay. The bottom line is you are out of luck. You may want to research if there are third party solutions. However if I was in your shoes, if your MBP needs an external display, please just buy one.

Problems connecting my MacBook Pro to a iMac as a Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.