Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my new 24" imac transferring from my old imac... setup migration but it still says "starting up" on the new one and "looking for applications and documents to transfer" on the old one. is this normal after four hours?

my new 24" imac transferring from my old imac... setup migration but it still says "starting up" on the new one and "looking for applications and documents to transfer" on the old one. is this normal after four hours?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 12:44 PM

ahha... the old imac needed an uograde to the OS even though there was no option indicated in AboutMyMac or the App Store. go online and download the latest version that will run on your system.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211683

2 replies

Jan 28, 2022 4:34 AM in response to DDFX

Move your content to a new Mac

If the new computer is going to be the Apple Silicon M1 Equipped Computer - would suggest Only Migrating the User Account and nothing more.

1 - Apple Silicon with either Big Sur macOS 11 or Monterey macOS 12 Only Support everything 64 bit and there is not workaround.

2 - Issues that may exist on the older computer will be migrated to the New Computer. This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 -  Applications, extensions and Software Drivers may or may not even work on the new computer.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are Monterey / Big Sur compatible and factor in the ARMs CU of the Apple Silicon Computer  

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.