Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot download or reinstall iTunes without creating a Microsoft account? Really?

How can I download and install the latest version of iTunes without having to create a Microsoft account to do it?

How does this make sense anyway?

It's a software download, not a phone app...

WTH?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 7:19 AM

8 replies

Jan 30, 2022 2:45 AM in response to 55reasons

iTunes can be downloaded from https://www.apple.com/itunes/. Although the primary link there for Windows users will be through the Microsoft Store if you scroll down a little you will find links to other versions.

This versionless link should download the current 64-bit build of iTunes for Windows 10 & 11.

tt2

Jan 28, 2022 7:38 AM in response to 55reasons

If you are trying to get iTunes for Windows from the Windows Store, Microsoft requires you have an account with them to access their store services. How does that not make sense? You need an account to access their "app" store. Much like you need an account with Google to access the Google Play Store, or with Apple to not only access the iPhone App Store, but also the Mac App Store. It's common practice to require an account to access stores.

You can of course not use the Windows Store and not need a Microsoft Account by using the direct links here: https://www.apple.com/itunes/

Jan 28, 2022 3:02 PM in response to Phil0124

Well considering for the last 35 years I have been able to download installation files without registering an account from Microsoft, including the LAST time I installed iTunes, I would say this is a shift.

The download link doesn’t have a version number assigned to it.

After downloading it, it says it is compatible with Win10, so I assume this is the same version as the last time I downloaded it.

iTunes stopped functioning when playing streaming content with Win11 update.

Jan 29, 2022 10:42 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for stating the obvious.

I am aware that the Windows Store has not existed for 35 years.

You used to be able to go to Apple.com and download iTunes directly from Apple for whatever OS and whatever version you wanted for that OS.

Now you can no longer get Apple software from Apple without going around the long way to find it.

…and no….according to the download page, there is no version compatible with Windows 11.

So the same version that was wrecked by Win 11, is also the only version available for download.

Cannot download or reinstall iTunes without creating a Microsoft account? Really?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.