Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard and trackpad fails on its own

i have m1 macbook air and when I use it, the trackpad and keyboard just stops working. tried resetting the smc, tried everything. even brought this to the store but at the time, the computer wasn't acting up. there's no water and physical damage. i have no idea whats causing the keyboard and trackpad to fail. sometimes it wont happen for like 20 days but after that, happens again. it works after I restart the mac but I don't want to restart it multiple times in 10 minutes. i saw a similar question here but I don't know how that one got solved. please help me. i need this computer for my online classes.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 10:03 PM

The apple tech didn’t found anything and they also examined if it has a water damage which is not the case as I always keep my mac dry. They did took it apart and tested everything as what I see on the report. As per your assumption, it might be the logic board that’s causing the issue. There’s no pattern aside from the time it happens. There’s no pattern actually as it acts on its own but usually it would fail around the 2nd half of the month and will continue if I didn’t do anything such as restarting the mac frequently which didn’t solved anything. In terms of connected devices, I only use bluetooth mouse and keyboard back then when the issue occurs and I make sure the setting for ignore the built in trackpad or keyboard is off. I also used a usb wireless mouse 2 days ago when someone borrowed my wireless mouse. The issue remains the same. The external ones works fine when the built in ones stopped working. I also expecting some sound when it fails but there’s nothing.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 10:03 PM in response to HWTech

The apple tech didn’t found anything and they also examined if it has a water damage which is not the case as I always keep my mac dry. They did took it apart and tested everything as what I see on the report. As per your assumption, it might be the logic board that’s causing the issue. There’s no pattern aside from the time it happens. There’s no pattern actually as it acts on its own but usually it would fail around the 2nd half of the month and will continue if I didn’t do anything such as restarting the mac frequently which didn’t solved anything. In terms of connected devices, I only use bluetooth mouse and keyboard back then when the issue occurs and I make sure the setting for ignore the built in trackpad or keyboard is off. I also used a usb wireless mouse 2 days ago when someone borrowed my wireless mouse. The issue remains the same. The external ones works fine when the built in ones stopped working. I also expecting some sound when it fails but there’s nothing.

Jan 28, 2022 5:52 PM in response to parmejohn01

Usually when both the built-in keyboard and trackpad fail at the same time it indicates a hardware issue usually with the Trackpad or Trackpad cable, but it may also be the Logic Board or built-in keyboard as well. Or perhaps some externally connected device is causing the problem. I haven't worked on an M1 Mac yet, but this is what I would look at from my experience with the Intel Macs.

Does an external keyboard & mouse work fine when the built-in Keyboard & Trackpad stop working? If so, you most likely have a hardware issue of some sort.

Try to notice a pattern in the failure such as hardware or software being used at the time. You will need to figure out how to reproduce the issue on demand or at least reasonably often so a tech can reproduce the issue to attempt troubleshooting. Anything you can do to help the repair tech is always appreciated by the tech.

Did the Apple tech actually take apart the laptop to check for possible liquid damage to the Logic Board or Trackpad, or Trackpad Cable? If not, then they should even if you don't think it ever had a liquid spill. You would be surprised how easy for one drop of liquid to get inside. Just using a wet cloth to clean the palmrest/keyboard/trackpad can leave a drop of liquid between the edge of the Trackpad which can hit/damage a connector or some electronics.

keyboard and trackpad fails on its own

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.