Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

schedule a terminal command to run daily

I have a Unix Executable File that I would like to schedule to run daily. I tried to create a shell command in automator to run through ical, but it failed to execute. I can run it manually, but I really need this to be an automated process that runs every night at like 1 am.

Pretend I'm a boomer that knows next to nothing about doing anything other than clicking boxes with a mouse.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 11:42 AM

9 replies

Jan 28, 2022 4:54 PM in response to vfrman

I don't have any answer.

In my case, the Google Backup & Sync Automator app was based entirely on built-in Automator Actions. Could the shell script perhaps cause complications?

I've included below an example of running a program in Terminal using AppleScript (used in another Automator generated app).

- Pie Lover

Jan 28, 2022 1:21 PM in response to MartinR

I created an app that uses the action "Run Shell Script" under Utilities.

The shell used is the /bin/zsh shell, the pass input is to stdin, and the command is the path to the exec file. The exec file works fine if I click on it in finder or manually enter it in terminal. I can also "play" the application in automator and it functions fine. When I create the iCal task to open a file at time of event. it just doesn't do it.

Jan 29, 2022 11:40 AM in response to BlueberryLover

I have no idea at this point why this isn't working. The exec file will open and execute if I double click it in finder. I also created an automator app that will also open and execute just fine if I double click on it in finder. If I try to create an event in calendar to open the automator app once a day, it doesn't work. Also, I figured out how to edit cron to schedule, and again neither the exec or automator app will execute in cron. This is beyond frustrating.

schedule a terminal command to run daily

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.