Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I really need to get a new iPhone 6s Plus or is this a scam?

Greetings,

Just received a message from T-Mobile about my iPhone 6s Plus with IOS 15.2.1 saying "They're retiring Sprint's [now T-Mobile] older 3G network and this phone - iPhone 6s Plus - will need to be replaced. ACTION REQUIRED: Reach out to your company contact responsible for this phone to discuss replacement."

Is this true? Do I really need to get a new phone or is this a scam? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 2:28 PM

It is true T-Mobile is retiring their 3G network and Sprint's legacy 3G network.

It is false that you need a new iPhone. An iPhone 6Plus can connect to current 4G/LTE networks so should continue to work even when the 3G network is gone for good.

However, your plan may need to be changed or updated. I would contact T-Mobile for specifics on whether you need to update your plan or SIM card to access 4G/LTE.

Link-> iPhone 6s Plus - Technical Specifications

Link-> https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 2:28 PM in response to dryflyfshr

It is true T-Mobile is retiring their 3G network and Sprint's legacy 3G network.

It is false that you need a new iPhone. An iPhone 6Plus can connect to current 4G/LTE networks so should continue to work even when the 3G network is gone for good.

However, your plan may need to be changed or updated. I would contact T-Mobile for specifics on whether you need to update your plan or SIM card to access 4G/LTE.

Link-> iPhone 6s Plus - Technical Specifications

Link-> https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

Jan 31, 2022 1:18 PM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

I believe Deggie is right on this. The AT&T/T-Mobile models and the Sprint/Verizon models supported overlapping, but slightly different LTE bands.

I won't swear they will all stop working as I never really concerned myself with the details of what bands were used by which carriers in the US much since I haven't changed carriers and don't really know anyone who has ended up doing so and not getting a new phone in the process... but there are definitely differences that may limit access to LTE coverage in some areas or result in roaming.

Fair enough. They may stop working (I doubt it). I'd be willing to bet a six pack of your and deggie's favorite brew that they will continue to work correctly. If they out right stop working, I will publish a retraction and full apology for what I said.

Will know in time, if we start seeing posts of Sprint based iPhone 6 and 6s devices that have stopped connecting to T-Mobile's network we'll know and you can call me on it.

Jan 31, 2022 10:38 AM in response to deggie

I don’t believe the 6s is among that most...

Well, unless there's some hardware difference between a 6s from Sprint and a 6s from T-Mobile I don't believe there's any reason it would not work.

T-Mobile would happily sell you a new device before admitting your old one would continue to work. And the people in TMobile's support line would likely just be told to say it won't work instead of getting into the weeds of what device exactly someone has and have to determine if it will or will not. After all its an almost 7 year old device at this point.

Unless there's a specific reason why it would not work, I'm going to believe it should work just fine. But maybe you have some information of why the 6s will not work beyond T-Mobile's support person saying it won't.

Jan 29, 2022 4:52 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

T-Mobile is shutting down the Sprint 4G/LTE network in the middle of the year and at that point your phone will no longer work with T-Mobile.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

Why it would stop working? Pretty much all Sprint 4G/LTE devices can continue to use T-Mobile’s own 4G/LTE network when that happens.

Even T-Mobile states as much in that very website:

What does the Sprint LTE network retirement mean to me?

Sprint’s LTE network will be retired on June 30, 2022. The good news is most Sprint LTE and 5G devices are compatible with the T-Mobile LTE or 5G network and will continue to operate on T-Mobile's LTE and 5G networks

Jan 31, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Phil0124

I believe there was a different radio in the Sprint/Verizon model iPhone 6s and the AT&T/T-Mobile model. And there is a difference between marketing and committing outright fraud. If T-Mobile is sending emails to a select group of people after issuing their statement on shutting down the Sprint network and saying when we do this you need to update your iPhone, it will no longer work, and that is a lie we would be talking about fraud not marketing. I would guess T-Mobile does employee lawyers who would spot that and warn them that they had gone too far.

On the other hand, if T-Mobile knows that these model iPhones will no longer work after they turn off the network and does not inform their customers of this how much flak do you think they would get for that? And rightfully so. And even with the notification we both know they will miss some people, or some people will ignore it, or some will say it is an attempt to get them to upgrade and on the day that T-Mobile turns off the network we will get posts here asking why does my iPhone say no service. And with a few queries (for those that still do that) we will find out they have a Sprint iPhone 6s on the T-Mobile network.

And for those that don't believe it, like say you, then they can just wait until that date and see if their phones stop working. If they do they can upgrade at that time. Too bad T-Mobile didn't wait until fall.

Jan 31, 2022 1:07 PM in response to Phil0124

I believe Deggie is right on this. The AT&T/T-Mobile models and the Sprint/Verizon models supported overlapping, but slightly different LTE bands.

I won't swear they will all stop working as I never really concerned myself with the details of what bands were used by which carriers in the US much since I haven't changed carriers and don't really know anyone who has ended up doing so and not getting a new phone in the process... but there are definitely differences that may limit access to LTE coverage in some areas or result in roaming.

Jan 31, 2022 1:56 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks to Kilted Tim for confirming that my memory is not totally shot. If I am not mistaken that was a period where Apple was using radios from two different companies for the GSM/CDMA phones. I do remember that people from other countries wanted to buy the Sprint models because the available bands slotted with what their cell service providers used while the T-Mobile/AT&T did not.

If all of them still work after the switch I'll go you one better and have a visit with the local District Attorney and take the printed email my friend got and now my neighbor across the street has received. They aren't "suggesting" in the letter that the phone won't work after they shut down the network they are stating as a fact that the phone will no longer work and if they wish to continue services with T-Mobile they will need a newer device. If that is a lie it will be one of the bigger cases against a cell service carrier that we have seen for awhile.

Do I really need to get a new iPhone 6s Plus or is this a scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.