Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Thumb Drive Compatibility

Hello Apple Community,

I am wondering, are thumb drives compatible with an iPhone X and an iPad 9th generation? I got this message when I tried to connect one to my iPhone and iPad with an official Apple Lightning to Camera Adapter.

Sincerely,

Captain

iPhone X

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 5:24 PM

Is it the USB-A or USB-C version? USB-A is only designed for connection to stuff that's self-powered, like (as the name implies) a camera. It might be possible to use with something like an powered USB hub. However, it sounds like the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter can actually provide power, although you might need a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Use Apple USB-A camera adapters with USB-A devices - Apple Support

Use USB 3 Adapter for more power

Some devices need more power than your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can provide. If you connect one of these devices, you might see an alert that says “attached accessory uses too much power." Try one of these steps: 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2022 5:24 PM in response to -Captain-

Is it the USB-A or USB-C version? USB-A is only designed for connection to stuff that's self-powered, like (as the name implies) a camera. It might be possible to use with something like an powered USB hub. However, it sounds like the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter can actually provide power, although you might need a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Use Apple USB-A camera adapters with USB-A devices - Apple Support

Use USB 3 Adapter for more power

Some devices need more power than your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can provide. If you connect one of these devices, you might see an alert that says “attached accessory uses too much power." Try one of these steps: 

Jan 28, 2022 6:29 PM in response to -Captain-

-Captain- wrote:
Can I use a thumb drive using the usb 3 adapter?

Not sure. But if you have access to an Apple Store I'd ask. There aren't that many powered USB hubs, but I've heard of that trick for things like using a USB-A hard drive with a DVR that doesn't provide USB power. A typical application that might work with your Camera Adapter would be something like a desktop USB external hard drive that's powered by its own power supply.

USB Thumb Drive Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.