Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if it is corrupted

So I’m factory resetting my phone to give to my kid and it keeps saying that the iPhone was corrupted during download so I don’t really now what to do because I know nothing about this stuff

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 12:50 PM

How are you trying to reset it? If it's corrupted while you're trying to do it alone via Wi-Fi with just the phone, it's never going to reset by itself again if iOS is broken.

The only way to properly restore it to factory settings once the operating system is corrupted would be to use a computer (Mac or PC) with the iPhone in recovery mode. The computer will then download a full iOS package and rebuild it on the iPhone.

Instructions for doing that are here:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 12:50 PM in response to Evanandrews

How are you trying to reset it? If it's corrupted while you're trying to do it alone via Wi-Fi with just the phone, it's never going to reset by itself again if iOS is broken.

The only way to properly restore it to factory settings once the operating system is corrupted would be to use a computer (Mac or PC) with the iPhone in recovery mode. The computer will then download a full iOS package and rebuild it on the iPhone.

Instructions for doing that are here:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

What if it is corrupted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.