Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung X5 SDD not found on MacBook Pro on 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (2016)

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a Samsung X5 to use on my MacBook Pro, a 2016 Intel Core i7.

I am operating Mojave 10.14.6. The SSD software is saying that no SSD is connected. I can not see the SSD in Disk Utility or anywhere else. I have tried restarting in recovery mode (holding command + R on Start up) however once in the startup Security Utility I don't see the option to reduce the security which I gather would allow the Samsung drive to be accessible. I only see option to "Turn on firmware password". When starting up whilst holding down the option key, only my apple drive is viewable and there is no EFI drive. Maybe I should update to Monterrey?

Thanks so much for any help!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 11:27 AM

Occasionally, the cords shipped in the box with devices end up being "lowest bidder" cables, and are sometimes not quite up to the task at at hand.

I suggest that one debugging path might be to acquire a premium-quality cable to try. Rather than a USB-C cable, a Genuine ThunderBolt cable with the same 40GB/sec specs (length limited to a half meter or less) may provide superior results.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 11:27 AM in response to Charles Riddle

Occasionally, the cords shipped in the box with devices end up being "lowest bidder" cables, and are sometimes not quite up to the task at at hand.

I suggest that one debugging path might be to acquire a premium-quality cable to try. Rather than a USB-C cable, a Genuine ThunderBolt cable with the same 40GB/sec specs (length limited to a half meter or less) may provide superior results.

Jan 30, 2022 11:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

Thank you. I'll give this a try! Any suggestions on why when restarting in recovery mode (holding command + R on start up) and once in the startup Security Utility I don't see the option to reduce the security which should allow the Samsung drive to be accessible? and only the "Turn on firmware password" is present?

Thanks,

Samsung X5 SDD not found on MacBook Pro on 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (2016)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.