Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Monterey won't install

Error: The volume cannot be used because it is a backup disk

I was not using, or at least I didn't know I was using, the HD as a backup disk. Apparently, sometime after the Mojave installation I messed it up. I was using Time Machine to backup to the Time Capsule.

How do I change my HD back into just a HD with no backup on it?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 2:20 AM

You need to delete the backup from your disk. If the backup is on a separate partition you need to erase that partition.

However, if you can't do that you need to first backup, download the Monterey installer, create a bootable USB installer using

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Boot from that installer and use Disk Utility erase your drive, install Monterey and last restore your data.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 2:20 AM in response to sa1lorkate

You need to delete the backup from your disk. If the backup is on a separate partition you need to erase that partition.

However, if you can't do that you need to first backup, download the Monterey installer, create a bootable USB installer using

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

Boot from that installer and use Disk Utility erase your drive, install Monterey and last restore your data.

MacOS Monterey won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.