Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad ios 15.3 won't install

need help. ipad ios 15.3 won't install

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:01 PM

What do you see on your screen when you attempt to update your iPad over a Wi-Fi Network?

Make sure that your iPad is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network.

1. Your iPad must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  2. The iPad can not be in Low Power mode
  3. The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  4. Your iPad must have at least 6GB or more free storage space
  5. Your iPad cannot be connected through VPN
  6. You should leave the iPad plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 5:01 PM in response to DebCT

What do you see on your screen when you attempt to update your iPad over a Wi-Fi Network?

Make sure that your iPad is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network.

1. Your iPad must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  2. The iPad can not be in Low Power mode
  3. The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  4. Your iPad must have at least 6GB or more free storage space
  5. Your iPad cannot be connected through VPN
  6. You should leave the iPad plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

Jan 29, 2022 5:40 PM in response to DebCT

A little hard to help/advise you when you provide little to NO useful information about your iPad.

Here are my questions to you.

Can you, please, confirm what year and model iPad do you have/own?

The “A” model number can be found on the aluminium back of your iPad, in very small print, right under the larger bold print “iPad” on the back of the iPad.

What iOS/iPadOS version is this iPad, currently, running?

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

All of that additional info can be found in the Settings app, General settings panel, About.

Please try to make an attempt to answer all questions asked.

Thank You.

Feb 1, 2022 7:02 AM in response to MichelPM

I have the same problem with a 2017, 10 inch iPad Pro, A 1709 with 256 GB of storage most of it available and I’m going from iOS 15 to 15.3 I’ve tried numerous times to hard reset and install it just hangs and the error that I get is “ unable to check for update an error occurred while checking for a software update“

Feb 7, 2022 8:02 PM in response to Guzbur

Your iPad is too far behind in iOS/iPadOS updates.

If you have access to a full computer, like a Mac or Windows PC, try either using the Finder on a Mac that has the newest macOS Catalina, or later macOS, installed OR with an older Mac with an older Mac OS, download and install the latest iTunes version ( or latest iTunes for Windows PC ), make sure the Mac or Windows PC is connected to the Internet, connect your iPad by the USB charge cable to the computer and let the iTunes application upgrade/update that iPad model, using the iTunes Software Update feature, to its current, maximum OS of iPadOS 15.3.

Make sure your iPad is, at least, charged to 50% or greater to attempt this.

Also, make sure to do a backup of your iPad's data, prior to upgrading/updating.

Backup to Apple iCloud and/or a full Mac or Windows PC using the same iTunes app OR, if a newer Mac running macOS Catalina, or later, making a backup using the macOS Finder app.

If NO access to a Mac or Windows computer, you will have to seek help from a good friend or family member, with a full Mac or Windows PC, to help you out

OR

Search online to locate and call contact your nearest, “local” Apple Store location to try/attempt to make an appointment to get your Apple iPad upgraded/updated to its latest iPadOS 15 version.

Apple Store employees will be glad to help/assist you.

Best of Luck to You!

Feb 8, 2022 12:02 PM in response to dlbegan

Yes , Worked with apple support and after 4 hrs of many unsuccessful attempts to update via wifi from 15.0 to 15.3, I connected to my iPad to my Mac mini (usb cable) tried to update. I was able to download the update but it would freeze on the install. I then received an error reading (error 4001or 4000). Thus as per this error code I disabled my iPad Lock Screen. Voila!!- downloaded successfully . I read on the web that this is a bug in iTunes for windows users but apparently it is a bug for Mac users as well. FYI- all parameters below were set as described in MichelPM's note.

ipad ios 15.3 won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.