Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Related Article: Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't transfer from old iPad to new iPad

We have a new iPad for our daughter. Trying to set it up but it says the old iPad needs iOS14 and the old one is only at 12.5. So it won't let us transfer the data. I cannot find an iCloud backup on the old iPad so can't do that either. Any suggestions?

iPad mini 6 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 5:52 PM

I am assuming that your old iPad cannot be updated beyond iOS 12.5.5. The reason I am asking is because if it were, then you would have updated it to iOS 14 and transferred the data to the new iPad.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Can you create an iCloud Backup from your old iPad manually and then restore your new iPad from it? To create a manual iCloud backup , open Settings ➡️. Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➡️ iCloud ➡️ ICloud Backup ➡️ Backup Now.
  2. If you cannot or do not want to create an iCloud backup, then you can 👉 Create a backup on your computer (Mac or Windows PC with iTunes installed). You can then 👉 Restore your iPad from that computer backup.
  3. If none of the above options are viable for you, then you can always setup the new iPad manually from scratch.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 5:52 PM in response to Whales135-5

I am assuming that your old iPad cannot be updated beyond iOS 12.5.5. The reason I am asking is because if it were, then you would have updated it to iOS 14 and transferred the data to the new iPad.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Can you create an iCloud Backup from your old iPad manually and then restore your new iPad from it? To create a manual iCloud backup , open Settings ➡️. Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➡️ iCloud ➡️ ICloud Backup ➡️ Backup Now.
  2. If you cannot or do not want to create an iCloud backup, then you can 👉 Create a backup on your computer (Mac or Windows PC with iTunes installed). You can then 👉 Restore your iPad from that computer backup.
  3. If none of the above options are viable for you, then you can always setup the new iPad manually from scratch.

Axel F.

can't transfer from old iPad to new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.