Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder and menu bar malfunctions

I have a MacBook Pro (about 4 years old now) that I've just updated to Monterey. Yesterday, after allowing an update, Chrome stopped working and all of my menus, including the left menu in the Finder are either gone or grayed out. Chrome has no menu at the top, none of the directory buttons in the finder work and the main menu, including the apply icon, bluetooth, volume, notifications, etc are all gone. (This is not a simply issue of hovering my mouse over the top of the screen to get it back. That doesn't work). I can open some applications but the mouse won't drop the cursor so I can type in a word document, so no editing. I tried shutting some things down in the Activity Monitor but those buttons are grayed out too. I have restarted several times and even did the command+shift with the long press on the power button with the power cord unplugged. No dice. What the heck happened and how do I fix it?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 7:21 PM

To see if I have this right. You updated to Monterey. Then you ran another update and the problems started? Do you remember what the update was? You could try going into recovery and reinstalling the Monterey Operating system. It will not delete any personal files or apps. When in recovery run disk utility and repair your startup volume. See if that solves it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 7:21 PM in response to even_keel_6

To see if I have this right. You updated to Monterey. Then you ran another update and the problems started? Do you remember what the update was? You could try going into recovery and reinstalling the Monterey Operating system. It will not delete any personal files or apps. When in recovery run disk utility and repair your startup volume. See if that solves it.

finder and menu bar malfunctions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.