Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine does not recognize external disk connected to iMac through USB port as backup location

I want to back up to an external disk connected to my iMac through a USB port but the time machine does not recognize the external disk as backup location

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 11:47 AM

Can you see the USB drive in Disk Utility.

If yes can you Erase (Format) in APFS format (I use APFS (case-sensitive)), if so, do so.

After a successful Format got to Time Machine in System Preferences, un-lock the padlock, uncheck Backup Automatically and click on select disk, check Backup Automatically, lock the padlock.

If successful Time Machine should start the process of backup.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2022 11:47 AM in response to barryfromflorida

Can you see the USB drive in Disk Utility.

If yes can you Erase (Format) in APFS format (I use APFS (case-sensitive)), if so, do so.

After a successful Format got to Time Machine in System Preferences, un-lock the padlock, uncheck Backup Automatically and click on select disk, check Backup Automatically, lock the padlock.

If successful Time Machine should start the process of backup.

time machine does not recognize external disk connected to iMac through USB port as backup location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.