Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Minis Airplay with Both Audio and Video

We have a pair of HomePod Minis paired with each other for stereo. We also have an Apple TV. Though most of our viewing occurs on platforms within the Apple TV, sometimes we watch live sports that are only available via other platforms, like ESPN+.

When doing so, we can start streaming the content on one of our iPhones and then use AirPlay to “cast” it on the TV so that we can watch on a much bigger screen. However, we can’t seem to get audio output from the HomePod Minis simultaneously with the video. If I start streaming on the phone and then swipe down to get to the Control Center, I can click the small AirPlay icon, and I can select both the Apple TV and HomePod Minis, as if they’re bundled together, like this:

But this results in audio output from the HomePod Minis with no video being cast to the TV.

Curiously, both of them appear selected here, though:

If I click on Control Other Speakers & TVs, then it looks like the speakers are connected but the Apple TV isn’t:

So am I doing something wrong or is it not possible to stream video and audio via AirPlay in this way?

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 2:18 AM

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

ESPN+ is available for Apple TV (4th generation or later) from the on-device App Store.

You can’t AirPlay video to one device and AirPlay audio to another device simultaneously, from your iPhone or iPad.

When you AirPlay video to Apple TV, the Apple TV would keep using the speakers that is was configured to use.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 2:18 AM in response to Tblay

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

ESPN+ is available for Apple TV (4th generation or later) from the on-device App Store.

You can’t AirPlay video to one device and AirPlay audio to another device simultaneously, from your iPhone or iPad.

When you AirPlay video to Apple TV, the Apple TV would keep using the speakers that is was configured to use.

HomePod Minis Airplay with Both Audio and Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.