Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update endlessly searching for updates

The software update goes into endless searching and never installs anything. What to do?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 12:32 PM

VedicMonk wrote: "...But the System Preferences / Software Update still goes into the endless "Checking for updates..." routine. Any suggestions for that?"

If you're using a VPN, turn it off and go through the Safe Mode steps again.

If you're not using a VPN, consider contacting Apple – here's a list of Apple phone numbers around the world:

Contact Apple for support and service

õ¿õ¬

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 12:32 PM in response to VedicMonk

VedicMonk wrote: "...But the System Preferences / Software Update still goes into the endless "Checking for updates..." routine. Any suggestions for that?"

If you're using a VPN, turn it off and go through the Safe Mode steps again.

If you're not using a VPN, consider contacting Apple – here's a list of Apple phone numbers around the world:

Contact Apple for support and service

õ¿õ¬

Jan 31, 2022 10:37 AM in response to VedicMonk

Mac mini 2018, which CAN be upgraded to even Monterey. The internet IS working for browsers and email, so not a network issue. Apple System Status reports no problems with macOS Software Update server.

There are no updates available on App Store. My iPhone cannot connect, tells me I need to update my Mac.

The Software Update utility itself is STUCK.

Jan 31, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Alancito

Progress!

The Safe Mode allowed for an update of device connection software for the iPhone, and then said everything is up to date.

Back in regular mode, no problem connecting the iPhone, no message about updating software like above. System Preferences no longer has the red tag indicating an update available.

But the System Preferences / Software Update still goes into the endless "Checking for updates..." routine. Any suggestions for that?

Software Update endlessly searching for updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.