Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard automatically adding Command + Shift on Mac M1 Mini

I'm running Monterey on an M1 Mac mini. Periodically when I press certain keys (5, Del, etc.) the computer acts as if I've pressed Command + Shift + <the key>. As a result it becomes unusable and I have to reboot. Sometimes it fixes it and sometimes it doesn't.

Any idea if I've entered some sort of accessibility mode or something by mistake? I just want a way to turn this "feature" off.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 10:00 AM

8 replies

Jan 31, 2022 10:08 AM in response to Chris Stott

Forgot to mention. I've checked the keyboard settings - all reset to default. Quit all keyboard type apps (i.e., text expander, Alfred, Raycast, etc.) and it still does this. I figured out that it was adding the Command + Shift by using the keyboard viewer and then pressing one of the keys it seems to be stuck on. Other keys work fine.

Note: When I just press '5' it takes a screenshot (the Command + Shift are done automatically)

Jan 31, 2022 4:56 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it with another keyboard and it worked fine. After a bit of trial and error I figured out that if I unplug my keyboard (Satechi wired keyboard) it seems to reset and the problem goes away. I'm running it through a USB-C hub (VAVA) due to all my devices (hard drives, multiple monitors, speakers, scanner, webcam).

Feb 2, 2022 12:30 PM in response to Chris Stott

Perhaps not, could be you just need to change keyboards. You said it works with another keyboard, was that on the hub as well? I run a hub, but nearly everything on it has it's own power supply, my Epson Printer and a 2TB external Hard Drive made by Maxtor. My own keyboard is a Macally model SlimkeyC and it acts up on the hub so I switched. I use a Logitech M100 mouse that does work through the hub. The Mac mini has the USB 3 hub, a Sabrent external SSB drive, my keyboard and a Maitlan Bluray, CD and DVD player attached.

Feb 2, 2022 6:03 PM in response to bobcollard

The keyboard I tried was actually bluetooth. The challenge is that it seems to be random. I tried it for a while and I didn't see any issues (but maybe I didn't do it for long enough).

My hub is the same - each item has it's own power supply - Fujitsu Scanner, G-Drive HD and Brother printer. I also plug my second monitor into the hub - I have a Logitech M720 and C922 webcam plugged in.

Note: I had to move the Logitech dongle to the monitor as the mouse was having issues selecting text. Saw in a forum that the further the dongle is from the Mac mini the better performance.

I'll have a look and see if I can re-organize it. I think I went with my config was so I could get the two monitors working. Thanks!

Keyboard automatically adding Command + Shift on Mac M1 Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.