Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trojan Spyware problem

I was recently (an hour ago) blocked out of my iPad by Apple. I called the tech support number on that screen and was comfortable with the conversation until the tech support asked for my banking information. When I declined to provide that, he ended the conversation quickly. I would like to know if that sounds routine.

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 1:22 PM

You'll certainly be a target for spam by giving them your email address. Expect to see lots more than usual as scammers/spammers sell lists of live addresses to each other.

With your name and email address (an email being a common user name on web sites), they may try to match up these items with the billions of stolen customer data breach databases. That gives them a few parts of what they need to try and hack into your bank account, or wherever you may use these two entries. They only need to try and guess the password.

At minimum, I'd change the passwords on critical accounts immediately.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2022 1:22 PM in response to 4AppleTech

You'll certainly be a target for spam by giving them your email address. Expect to see lots more than usual as scammers/spammers sell lists of live addresses to each other.

With your name and email address (an email being a common user name on web sites), they may try to match up these items with the billions of stolen customer data breach databases. That gives them a few parts of what they need to try and hack into your bank account, or wherever you may use these two entries. They only need to try and guess the password.

At minimum, I'd change the passwords on critical accounts immediately.

Trojan Spyware problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.