You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete icons from launch pad with no X

Since 2011 we have been asking this and no one seems to get it. I typed in google ''apple how to remove an icon from the launch pad - LOL''

Because I feel like a bit of an idiot struggling with a simple task like deleting the icon.

But yea.. looks like apple can't let us delete un used apps from the launch pad.

Why?

Maybe its because they don't like the idea of having a delete button on the keyboard. That is advanced technology.. the old delete button... I mean I totally understand if apple don't have the technology to create a delete button. It is a highly advanced button to put on the keyboard so its fair enough yea.

LOL

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 1:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 4:56 AM

Omg. I just found it.

The finder does not show the game application in the applications folder for some reason.

I will walk you through the process I did.

1) Click on finder.

2) Click on Applications

3) Click on the search bar at the top left.

4) Press .

5) The list changes and other files now appear in applications.

Counter Strike was right there as soon as I typed in the dot. I just deleted it from there and it disappeared from the launchpad.

Point still stands I should be able to throw the icon in the bin from launchpad.

Its mad to think this is was the solution the whole time. LOL.

24 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2022 4:56 AM in response to avulahncontact

Omg. I just found it.

The finder does not show the game application in the applications folder for some reason.

I will walk you through the process I did.

1) Click on finder.

2) Click on Applications

3) Click on the search bar at the top left.

4) Press .

5) The list changes and other files now appear in applications.

Counter Strike was right there as soon as I typed in the dot. I just deleted it from there and it disappeared from the launchpad.

Point still stands I should be able to throw the icon in the bin from launchpad.

Its mad to think this is was the solution the whole time. LOL.

Jan 31, 2022 4:24 PM in response to avulahncontact

of course that would be easier, but that's not what apple chose to do. you may wan't to send apple some feedback and let them know which functions you would like to see added / changed. you can use this link: Feedback - macOS - Apple

but anyways, if you have a 3rd party app that you can't delete, i think i would try temporarily disabling SIP. boot into recovery by holding "command+R" during startup. once there open terminal by clicking on "utilities" in the menubar and choosing "terminal". then paste in "csrutil disable" without the quotes. enter your admin password if prompted. then restart the mac and try deleting the file. wether or not it works, make sure to re-enable SIP. boot into recovery again, reopen terminal and paste in "csrutil enable" without the quotes. enter your admin password if prompted and again restart the mac normally. 

Jan 31, 2022 3:43 PM in response to avulahncontact

this doesn't get rid of the apps, but rather "hides" them. you can drag any apps you don't use to the right edge of your desktop. once you hold them "against" the edge for about 1/2 a second, your launchpad will "slide" to the left, revealing the second launchpad page. you can then drop it there. you can also drag icons from the second launchpad to the first by dragging them to the left edge of the second launchpad screen. i currently have three launchpad pages. i keep my most used apps on the first page, my not as often used apps on the second page, and the apps that i never use on the third. and you can fit as many as 35 apps on each launchpad page.

Jan 31, 2022 4:41 PM in response to avulahncontact

The "X" button is just a shortcut to uninstall apps downloaded from the Mac App Store.

For any other apps, you have to uninstall them according to their uninstallation instructions. Sometimes you can just drag the app from the Applications folder in the Finder to the trash. In other cases, you must use a dedicated uninstaller provided by the developer. Each app is different and you have to find out what a given app's uninstallation procedure is before you attempt it.

Once you uninstall the app, then its icon will be automatically removed from LaunchPad.

Jan 31, 2022 4:46 PM in response to avulahncontact

The original questions, verbatim " Delete icons from launch pad with no X " has been answered and method to perform the actions requested is available to the user.

Anything outside of the Technical aspect is just prattle and off the technical question IMHO.

These Apple support Community Forums are intended for Technical questions related to Apple Software or Hardware.

Jan 31, 2022 6:41 PM in response to avulahncontact

avulahncontact wrote:

That would be good but it does not work. The icon is just a game from steam that iv uninstalled and fully deleted from applications folder source.

Then you probably haven't actually uninstalled it. I suggest ask Steam support about this. They are likely doing something funky. The operating system still sees the app, so it still shows the icon.

The point still stands I should have the power to just delete anything really I don't want.

Then you'll have to talk to Steam about that. Regardless, you don't have that power and never did. The operating system requires certain files and folders to function. Those files are read-only and protected. You can't delete them. And if you did somehow manage to disable system security, unseal the read-only volume, and then cryptographically re-seal it, the operating system wouldn't boot. Well, I guess you can delete anything you want. You just can't expect the system to function afterwards.

Feb 1, 2022 3:23 AM in response to etresoft

Yes It was fully uninstalled from steam. Then deleted entirley from my computer by deleting manually the residual files.

In windows some system files cannot be deleted because they are important files. Your just prompted with other files that 'might' cause system problems.

This is not a system file. Its a game icon. I should have to power to just remove the icon. If I can pick it up and move it around the page, why can't I just place it in the bin?

Feb 1, 2022 4:04 AM in response to avulahncontact

Launchpad shows what is installed. It is not configurable such that you can add or remove unwanted icons. If it can find an app somewhere, it shows the app icon.

It does work from a database, so that may not have been updated when you removed the app. The only way to manage that is to delete the index and let it rebuild. I think it is still a SQLite database, so you might be able to edit it using SQL.

What happens if you click on the icon?

Feb 1, 2022 4:46 AM in response to etresoft

Yea I tried all the suggestions on that page other than going down the route of downloading other programs to get rid of it or going into the terminal.

Im really not that bothered about it, to me we just don't have a powerful enough delete button.

Unless someone has a simple fix here, im really not bothered. Its a developer issue really.

Thanks for trying to help anyways.

Delete icons from launch pad with no X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.