Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri Remote Volume/Mute Not Working

After the frustration of going through 3 remotes on my AppleTV HD, I just settled on using my iPhone as a remote for a while. However, I grew tired of having to use an additional remote to control the volume, so I finally decided to get the new Siri Remote. It paired instantly to my AppleTV, but the volume controls no longer communicated with my Sony powered speakers. I went through the process of learning the volume +/-/mute controls again using the Sony remote, and the AppleTV received the IR signals just fine. However, the new Siri Remote still won't control the speakers. I verified that the IR on the remote works by directing it at my iPhone's camera which picks up the IR light. Also, it's able to control my TV's volume via IR when set to do that, which I obviously don't want.

I've tried everything from temporarily unplugging AppleTV, updating tvOS, fully charging and then re-pairing the Siri Remote. I even replaced the batteries in my Sony remote to ensure it was sending a strong signal to learn from. Ironically, my old broken AppleTV remote still controls the volume (that's all it does).

It appears my new Siri Remote is sending IR signals to control the volume, just not the right ones. So now I'm back to using two remotes again. What gives, Apple? If I can't get this resolved, I'll be sending the new remote back.

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 1:24 AM

• Make sure you are updated to the latest version possible for your AppleTV.

• Maybe this link will provide some unseen guidance:

If volume, power, or HDMI selection don't automatically work for you, you might need to program your remote for volume or turn on HDMI-CEC on your TV or receiver.

(my own usage note: using the CEC control while also IR control can be tricky with a few A/V setups with receivers. ** you will not see this with the old AppleRemote)

• Unfortunately it may be a case the new Siri Remote simply will not control the receiver that controls your speakers. (See item 3 below from Apple)

Use the Siri Remote to control the volume of your TV or Receiver

1. Open Settings  on Apple TV.
  2. Go to Remotes and Devices > Volume Control and choose Auto.
  3. Note: These settings may not work with all devices. For more information, see the Apple Support article Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote.

• if your Siri remote is under warranty, you could consider opening a case with Apple Support. I prefer using the Apple Support app on my iPhone/ipad/Mac, however, you can also definitely contact then via the web https://support.apple.com

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2022 1:24 AM in response to discopants

• Make sure you are updated to the latest version possible for your AppleTV.

• Maybe this link will provide some unseen guidance:

If volume, power, or HDMI selection don't automatically work for you, you might need to program your remote for volume or turn on HDMI-CEC on your TV or receiver.

(my own usage note: using the CEC control while also IR control can be tricky with a few A/V setups with receivers. ** you will not see this with the old AppleRemote)

• Unfortunately it may be a case the new Siri Remote simply will not control the receiver that controls your speakers. (See item 3 below from Apple)

Use the Siri Remote to control the volume of your TV or Receiver

1. Open Settings  on Apple TV.
  2. Go to Remotes and Devices > Volume Control and choose Auto.
  3. Note: These settings may not work with all devices. For more information, see the Apple Support article Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote.

• if your Siri remote is under warranty, you could consider opening a case with Apple Support. I prefer using the Apple Support app on my iPhone/ipad/Mac, however, you can also definitely contact then via the web https://support.apple.com

Feb 1, 2022 12:59 PM in response to Tim_4_All

Thanks for the response. The powered speakers I use are older (late 90's) and don't incorporate HDMI-CEC, just IR technology. They respond fine to the IR remote that came with them as well as my old, programmed AppleTV remote. It's just the new Siri Remote that doesn't play nice. While I can understand lack of support for older equipment, that doesn't seem relevant when it comes to learning IR commands from another remote—unless my speakers use an outdated IR standard that Apple simply chose not to support with the new remote.

Feb 1, 2022 7:49 PM in response to discopants

I understand the frustration. I've worked in the A/V industry for some years, getting audio just right, video just right, and the ever important controlling everything properly (avoiding 5 remotes sitting on the table) with a disparate number of equipment makers in the A/V/Control chain? It can be challenging.

Unfortunately I don't think I've worked with a built in amp speakers without a receiver setup.. Correct, there isn't a receiver(amp) in the chain? To be clear, your setup is ATV box HDMI -> Display -> Speakers that are fed audio directly from a Display by +/- copper?

If I can picture your setup better, I can run it though some of my trouble ticket cases I've worked on in the past - hopefully come up with something (assuming it isn't an outright limitation of the Siri Remote/TVOS 15 with these speakers).

Feb 2, 2022 8:33 PM in response to Tim_4_All

My setup is ATV –> TV via HDMI, TV –> Digital to Analog Audio Convertor via TosLink, Audio Convertor –> Sony SAVA-7 Active Speaker System (with built in amp) via L/R RCA cables. Speaker system is controlled via IR remote, which old ATV remote can do but new remote does not. I read there was a firmware update for the new remote released a few months ago. Unfortunately, you have to wait for it to update automatically, and there's no way to tell if it has yet.

Feb 3, 2022 1:32 AM in response to discopants

I did a search on my old tickets but the Sava-7 did not come up. I’m guessing these speakers are Sony classics (classic can be great and last a long time). Unfortunately I do not have any good suggestions.

I can give you this tip for the Siri remote(the directions may be outdated but it may be worth a try):

Siri Remote firmware update:

-Open the Settings app on your fourth-generation Apple TV and navigate to the Remotes and Devices → Bluetooth section.

-Highlight your Siri Remote in the tvOS interface, but don’t click the Touch surface.

-Press the Play/Pause button on the remote four times quickly.

If there is a new update, it’ll download in the background. When your remove and AppleTV are not in use it will apply the update.

Siri Remote Volume/Mute Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.