Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not Able to View Locked Notes on iPhone

I am unable to view locked notes in the Notes app on my iPhone. I keep receiving the wrong password message even though I know for certain that I typed it correctly. I even copied and pasted it when I created it and pasted that same password when prompted for it. This is seriously frustrating because I can't access sensitive data with a correct password.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 9:26 PM

There is a hint that was created by you for locked Notes, please use them. If you do not have one then please keep trying various passwords known to you.

There is no way of resetting the Notes password, however, you can create a new password for the new Notes that you would lock or create.

The only option that you have is to keep trying as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

However, you can set a new password for your new notes, but for the old notes, you need to get the old password only.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2022 9:26 PM in response to vytalman

There is a hint that was created by you for locked Notes, please use them. If you do not have one then please keep trying various passwords known to you.

There is no way of resetting the Notes password, however, you can create a new password for the new Notes that you would lock or create.

The only option that you have is to keep trying as there is no limit on the number of attempts.

However, you can set a new password for your new notes, but for the old notes, you need to get the old password only.

Feb 1, 2022 9:26 PM in response to vytalman

If you have imported some notes from Old iPhone to the new one then you will have to attach the password to the new Touch ID / Face ID on your new iPhone. At some given time you must have created a password and enabled touch Id / Face ID to the password. Any Notes created thereafter will only use your Touch ID / Face ID. Because of this, it is very likely that you may not recall the password now.

Face ID / Touch IDs are not transferable from one device to another.

Watch the 2 GIFs below about locked Notes.

Not Able to View Locked Notes on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.