Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple project/timelines problem

I am totally new to FCPX. I have started a library and imported all my raw footage. I have created a project, and inserted the clips into the timeline of that project. That's all I've done.

Now, I want to have several different versions of the edit of this footage. One very long, another shorter, etc. So I understand I need to create a new project, or duplicate the current project. However- When I duplicate the current project, any changes I make to the duplicate are made to the original. Alternatively, if I create a new project, to start a second timeline from scratch, all the clips seem to disappear from the original project. If I delete the second project, all the clips reappear in the first project.

I am not using any compound or multicam clips. Even if I "snapshot" the project, then make changes to the snapshot, the changes happen to the original project timeline as well. Clearly I am missing something here. Thanks for any help you can offer. Darcy

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 9:55 PM

Are you doing the below action to create a NEW Project:

Command-N is another method.

Give the Project a meaningful name.

It may be worth resetting the FCPro Preferences.

Hold Option-Command as you launch FCPro then reopen a Library.

Al

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 2, 2022 1:39 AM in response to Darcy Phillips1

I think we have all been caught out with the ID10T error thing. 😀

Here is a Timeline tip for when you have more than one Timeline or Clip/s that have been opened into the Timeline.

Each session of editing remembers whatever was opened in the Timeline and a list is populated as you go.

You can click the forward backward ARROWS or click and hold to reveal a list based on where you are in the queue:

Al

Feb 1, 2022 10:09 PM in response to Alchroma

Yes, this got me there. Though the answer was probably simpler- I didn't realize that just single clicking on the project name wasn't enough to switch to that project- you have to double click to actually see it in the timeline. I was single clicking and the program seemed to me to be switching to the other project, but it actually wasn't. You have to pay attention to the actual title in the timeline window. So I was always seeing the same project. Stupid mistake, but clears up my problem and lets me move forward, so thank you very much!

multiple project/timelines problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.