Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A thin line appeared on my iPad Pro 2021 screen

A thin black line appeared on my iPad Pro 2021 out of nowhere after a new software update. It’s a brand new iPad Pro which I received on 1Feb2022 after setup it just asked me to update the software which I did it on 2Feb2022 from then I started getting this black line on the top of the screen. I did tried to restart restart the device but it is of no use. Can anyone help me to get the issue fixed.

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 1:17 AM

Begin with a forced-restart of your iPad - as this will often resolve an isolated issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the problem remains unresolved, you’ll need to determine if you have a hardware or software issue. A reliable method to confirm a screen or other hardware fault is to take a screenshot when the fault is evident - and then review the captured screenshot image...

When reviewed, if the lines are not present in the screenshot image, then you have demonstrated that you have a hardware fault that, sooner or later, may become sufficiently severe that repair or replacement of the iPad are the only options. If the lines are visible in the screenshot, the something other than hardware will be the cause.

Note: When reviewing the image, rotating the iPad screen orientation by 90°, from Portrait to Landscape, will ensure that the image does not coincide with screen defects if present.

Take a screenshot on your iPad – Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, you would be well advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 1:17 AM in response to Vommi

Begin with a forced-restart of your iPad - as this will often resolve an isolated issue:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the problem remains unresolved, you’ll need to determine if you have a hardware or software issue. A reliable method to confirm a screen or other hardware fault is to take a screenshot when the fault is evident - and then review the captured screenshot image...

When reviewed, if the lines are not present in the screenshot image, then you have demonstrated that you have a hardware fault that, sooner or later, may become sufficiently severe that repair or replacement of the iPad are the only options. If the lines are visible in the screenshot, the something other than hardware will be the cause.

Note: When reviewing the image, rotating the iPad screen orientation by 90°, from Portrait to Landscape, will ensure that the image does not coincide with screen defects if present.

Take a screenshot on your iPad – Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, you would be well advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

A thin line appeared on my iPad Pro 2021 screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.