Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplane mode

why does airplane mode no longer turn off wifi? I see the airplane icon and the wifi icon is still there and data still goes through.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2022 5:02 PM

Normally, by default, Airplane mode disables all radios on a device -- cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth -- but after enabling Airplane mode you can manually enable WiFi and/or Bluetooth (e.g. so you can use WiFi on a plane). From that point, the next time you enable Airplane mode it will remember the last "state" and will leave WiFi enabled.

Or at least, this has been my experience.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2022 5:02 PM in response to mpart7

Normally, by default, Airplane mode disables all radios on a device -- cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth -- but after enabling Airplane mode you can manually enable WiFi and/or Bluetooth (e.g. so you can use WiFi on a plane). From that point, the next time you enable Airplane mode it will remember the last "state" and will leave WiFi enabled.

Or at least, this has been my experience.

airplane mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.