Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facial recognition feature

My new iphone keeps asking me to “finish setting it up” by setting up the facial recognition part. I have no intention of doing so regardless of whether the data is “safe” or otherwise. Is there a way to stop it asking me to do this?

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 9:05 AM

Here's how you can completely disable Face ID through the Settings app:

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Locate Face ID & Passcode and then enter your passcode when prompted.
  3. You now need to toggle the switches under the Use Face ID For section; turn off each item to completely disable Face ID.

Turn off Face ID

1. Go to Settings  > Face ID & Passcode.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Turn off Face ID for specific items only: Turn off one or more options: iPhone Unlock, Apple Pay, iTunes & App Store, or Safari AutoFill.
    • Turn off Face ID: Tap Reset Face ID.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 9:05 AM in response to Nofaceforme

Here's how you can completely disable Face ID through the Settings app:

1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
  2. Locate Face ID & Passcode and then enter your passcode when prompted.
  3. You now need to toggle the switches under the Use Face ID For section; turn off each item to completely disable Face ID.

Turn off Face ID

1. Go to Settings  > Face ID & Passcode.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Turn off Face ID for specific items only: Turn off one or more options: iPhone Unlock, Apple Pay, iTunes & App Store, or Safari AutoFill.
    • Turn off Face ID: Tap Reset Face ID.

Feb 3, 2022 11:05 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

My issue is that it is insistent that I must do it in the first place with no opt out clause. It is at the end of the day it is a telephone - my telephone should not be demanding to know what I look like for whatever reason if I don’t want it to. Whilst I read the the data is only stored locally on my phone, I am too old and skeptical to take this on blind faith.

I know I am going to come across all old and trollish - this is not the case, I have always used Apple phones and pads with no issues. But his for me is a step too far. But I don’t want to make an issue of it so I apologise and appreciate your help. I am guessing the short answer to the original question is that it cannot be turned off to stop asking me to finish setting up the phone.

thanks for your help guys :)

Feb 3, 2022 11:22 AM in response to Nofaceforme

Older people (of which I am one) are not, as a class, trollish or ignorant of technology. Suggestions being old somehow means they are those things is a tad ageist.

It may be your phone but it's Apple's software. And, they don't want to do it the way you want. So, you both have that in common.

You can let Apple know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Facial recognition feature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.