Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail signatures not working

I need help. I can add signatures to Apple mail by going to Preferences>>Signatures. So under all Signatures it shows I have 8 signatures. On the left hand side where it shows all the mail accounts it shows that my iCloud email has 3 and then the other 5 accounts show 1 listed. On each account I made sure under choose signature that each account has the signature listed there. When I got to New messages the only signatures that will show to choose from is my iCloud signatures. I'm running macOS Monterey 12.2. Is this a bug in Apple Mail or software? I ran out of ideas to try to fix this. When I was running my MacBook Air I had no problems. Just switched over to MacBook Pro a few days ago and noticed this issue.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 8:59 AM

I did, but not sure if my way of fixing it was the only way to fix it. Apple tech couldn't figure it out either so they collected information on my MacBook Pro and after a week still didn't have the answer. So I grew impatient and tried to restore my Mac from a Time machine back up, but the issue remained. So the second time I reinstalled a fresh copy of Monterey so none of my files would be installed. Then I went to my Time Machine back up and slide the applications folder into my Mac applications folder and then slide documents into my Mac documents folder and other different saved files I wanted. This way it wouldn't replace any system files, but I didn't lose important files I had saved. Launched Apple Mail and my issue was resolved.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2022 8:59 AM in response to JoolzeE

I did, but not sure if my way of fixing it was the only way to fix it. Apple tech couldn't figure it out either so they collected information on my MacBook Pro and after a week still didn't have the answer. So I grew impatient and tried to restore my Mac from a Time machine back up, but the issue remained. So the second time I reinstalled a fresh copy of Monterey so none of my files would be installed. Then I went to my Time Machine back up and slide the applications folder into my Mac applications folder and then slide documents into my Mac documents folder and other different saved files I wanted. This way it wouldn't replace any system files, but I didn't lose important files I had saved. Launched Apple Mail and my issue was resolved.

Feb 4, 2022 2:43 PM in response to andrewj0781

Hi there Andrew,

We'd like to help with the issue you're having regarding Mail signatures.

You mentioned that when creating a new email, it only shows the signatures listed under your iCloud account within the Mail preferences. You also mentioned this only started to occur when getting your new Mac, but if you still have your old one, does it also exhibit the same issues at this time?

What exactly shows when you create a new email, and you're only being able to select from the signatures listed under your iCloud account? Any options, settings, etc. other than being able to select from those specific signatures?

As you have macOS 12.2 installed, have you already restarted your Mac since updating it? If not, this link shows how to Restart your iPhone.

Cheers!

Feb 4, 2022 3:39 PM in response to bruno75

Thank you for the reply. No, it works normal on my old Mac but it won't update past 11.6.1, it's an old MacBook Air. The screen shot below shows I'm not using an icloud account to send an email but under Signature I only have icloud signatures to pick from.

In this screen shot I have one signature listed under each account. The screen shot doesn't show it, but I made sure when clicking on each account the Choose Signature is selected in the drop down.

What I've tried to do was reset the Mac, I found out that I needed a software update so I did update the Mac as well. I've deleted all of the signatures multiple times. The work around that helps while I trying to figure this out is put all the signatures under the icloud account and just select what signature I want for the email account I'm sending. I want to figure out how I can just select the email account and have Apple Mail automatically add the signature for that account.

Feb 18, 2022 9:14 AM in response to andrewj0781

Thank you for replying so quickly. That really wasn't the route I wanted to take but if I have to, I have to...

My situation:

On my MacBook Pro I have set up custom email domain emails on iCloud and, I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but the signatures on three of the email accounts refuse to work (as they always done in the past). Two of them only have one signature, which is also set to be the default but this is totally ignored when the respective From: email address is chosen in the new message window. The default is not shown and there is no signature available under the Signature pop down box.

The other account is weirder. It has two email addresses associated with it, one that is the main one used (and is set to be the default email address) and a secondary one. The signatures are set up as always worked previously but the signatures are missing as above for other email addresses. However, they are there and the default signature also appears for the secondary email address. I have also noticed if I try to add a new signature it pre-populates the signature with the secondary email address, not the default one (even though it is not selected in the Accounts area - the main email address is).

I have exactly the same signature set up on the previous version of Mac Mail (14.0) on my iMac and it all works fine!

I will play around a little more and then give your solution a go. Thank you!

Apple Mail signatures not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.