Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swap out the SSD from my old MacBook Pro to an identical model replacement

I have a late 2011 17” MacBook Pro, currently running with an internal Samsung 8TB SSD w/- OS Sierra. I have bought an identical model / specs MacBook, as my old one has had its day. Can I simply pull the SSD out of the old MacBook, and put it straight into the new one? Thank you

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 11:04 PM

Those 8TB Internal SSDs are expensive!

YES, you can pull the old one out and install the new one. You have mentioned that both drives are identical models so there shouldn’t be any issues. Remember to install the macOS on the new drive after installation.

Axel F.

11 replies

Feb 4, 2022 12:34 AM in response to StereoloveDJ

I am not sure. I hope Axel Foley comes back in. There are hundreds of driver files in an install. In fact, that is why you had SL disks made just for your system not a "generic install" disk that was guaranteed to boot any MBP from 2011. Your install adapted itself to the other MBP, and *may* have every piece in line ... or may not. Very tricky question.

Feb 4, 2022 11:14 AM in response to steve359

Steve359:

I see your concern however I am betting on the third party SSD originally working perfectly.

I bet it works on the new unit which is identical to the old unit. The thought process here is that the Samsung SSD was already a third party install in the original unit and it worked. This SSD will not know which unit it is going to be in due to the identical specs. The macOS is also the same because it is cloned on the SSD. In this case, the macOS in the new MacBook will boot entirely from the SSD. Should not have any other hardware/software issues.

Yes, tricky question, however the answer is probably straightforward.

Axel F.

Feb 4, 2022 11:32 AM in response to StereoloveDJ

The instance of MacOS that 'shipped in the box' has always been specific to the model Mac it was created for. That instance does not contain "Drivers for every model Mac", and they can not be added in any ordinary way. Updating to a later revision of the same major version does not add those drivers either.

UPGRADEs to a different major version are tagged with your Apple-ID, and are similar to purchases for $0. These instances do contain "Drivers for every [appropriate] model Mac".

Swap out the SSD from my old MacBook Pro to an identical model replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.