Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CardDAV password issues

I use gmail on an iPhone (14.8) and iPad (15.3). On both, when I open contacts I’m asked by CardDAV for a google password. When I enter the password I’m told it’s incorrect. This happens on both devices. The problem has been there for a couple of months and means the contacts are not syncing. How can I resolve the issue or remove cardDAV.

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 1:04 PM

Hello Charliehorseshoe,

Thanks for the info. Could it be asking about your Apple ID account password? Also, have you tried deleting it and setting it back up to see the complete process and the password it requires?

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 7, 2022 1:52 AM in response to Charliehorseshoe

In common with many other Mail providers, Google Mail (Gmail) now use App Specific Passwords to access IMAP or POP3 mailboxes from non-Google Apps. This is also likely to affect CardDAV.

The Mail App on each of your devices, such as your iPad, requires a unique password to be generated from within your Google account. This App Specific password intentionally differs from your Google account password - and can only be used to access your Google services, such as mail.

More information about Google’s App Specific Passwords can be found here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Feb 5, 2022 1:22 AM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric F

Thanks for your help. My password works on the gmail website. The gmail account doesn’t ask for a password. But when I open the google contacts account (rather than the gmail account) I can see there is a password entered ( shown as 6 black dots) which is not a current password which have more letters. When I delete the 6 dots and enter the google password cardDAV fails to verify it and we’re back to the 6 dots. Any suggestion how to reset the CardDAV password? Thanks.

Feb 7, 2022 1:34 AM in response to ryane77

Hi Ryane77

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried entering my Apple ID but it doesn’t recognise it.

I’d gladly delete CardDAV if I knew how to and was sure in deleting it I wouldn’t loose my contacts. I’m now using a third party app to sync my contacts across devices, but the constant requests by CardDAV to enter passwords which don’t work is driving me mad.

I’ve got a new iMac on order and don’t want the same issue to cause problems with that. ☹️

Thanks for your help

CardDAV password issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.