Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Q: Installing content to a NAS

My laptop doesn't have the HDD space for me to install all Logic content (loops, samples, etc.) I do, however, have a massive NAS, but the installer won't let me select it when specifying other location. Does anyone have a tip/trick to overcome this? Thanks -

MBP CD, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 9:45 PM

5 replies

Aug 8, 2010 9:37 AM in response to Steven Kim

Steven Kim wrote:
My laptop doesn't have the HDD space for me to install all Logic content (loops, samples, etc.) I do, however, have a massive NAS, but the installer won't let me select it when specifying other location. Does anyone have a tip/trick to overcome this? Thanks -

Yes, I know. tip/trick for this.

1.- Don't try to use the NAS (Network Attached Server) to play back any audio. Bad idea, this is not designed for this type of work. I'm not joking here either... so don't ask for another "workaround" with this equipment.

2.- Go and buy, yes, BUY a dedicated FireWire hard drive with a spindle speed of 7200 rpm or faster. Again, do not try to buy a USB or other lesser type of drive, as it will not work. I recommend Glyphtech. They have a 5 year warranty and free data recovery for the first year.

Anything else as a " workaround" will simply explode in your face.

BTW the Logic Manual clearly states what you need to have in order to record and play back audio, and right there it states it is a good idea to have a dedicated hard drive, so no, I am not blowing smoke up your you-know-what...

Cheers

Aug 8, 2010 2:59 PM in response to noeqplease

Thanks for the reply. This current thread is a part of my attempt to move away from USB/FW drives and turn my workstations into shells as much as possible. I recently sold my desktop and am also selling my external drives. I'm familiar with the points you raise; I'm hoping to try to beat the odds.

FWIW, I've had complete success in running my studio out of my NAS (other than this current issue). Recording to and playback from the NAS have given me no problems whatsoever. I have gigabit connections to the NAS and workstations, where at this point the actual drive speed is the bottleneck more than the transport. I have a RAID6 configuration which addresses the drive speeds, so my NAS configuration is technically superior to an external FW drive in every way.

So I understand this is not an officially supported/recommended configuration. I'm hoping others have beaten the odds and can share tips to help me across my current impasse.

Thanks again -
Steven

Aug 8, 2010 5:13 PM in response to Data Stream Studio

Thanks - I'm thinking about installing it while a FW drive is attached, then moving the physical files onto the NAS. The problem is that I can't create symlinks since the original location (FW drive) will be gone altogether. I guess I can create /Volumes/<symlink the FW drive> but that seems a bit closer to sacrilege, symlinking pretending to be entire volumes. Who knows if some fsmount-related job will do stuff there!

A working option would be if I can modify a resource file that specified the directory of the samples/loops. Anyone know where this might be located?

Q: Installing content to a NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.