Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS 12.1 (arm64 aka M1) Memory Leak in several Applications (Safari, Mail, Battle.Net to Name a few)

Has anyone else experience *VERY* high memory utilization from applications running on your M1 powered Mac?

I have a Mac mini M1 that I rarely restart or logout. So Applications like Safari, Mail, and others run for a few weeks at a time.

I first noticed that Safari will use upwards of 5-6Gb of ram -- 5GB for a web-browser that has no active windows? Of course quitting does free the memory and life continues. As does the same for Mail, though, it seems to top out at 1.5G +/-.

Battle.Net (Blizzard's all-in-one launcher utility, which is X86_64) eats lots of memory after running awhile too. I've been avoiding it, it's another one that can grab 2-3GB of memory and a quit and re-launch will get it back to a sane about of 400-500Mb.

Then I found that WindowServer eats memory, 1200Mb, when it uses only 350Mb after a fresh login -- with all my usual apps launched. Over time, it slowly consumes memory; much like the other examples I mentioned. These haven't caused any performance issues, just seems strange on a 16Gb M1 that memory pressure is being triggered. (iStat Menu)

And just for comparison; right now:

Safari (just this website open after a fresh launch) 410Mb RAM used.

Mail (open, recently quit and launched) 426Mb

WindowServer (logged in for about 36 hours) 749Mb [starts at 350Mb on fresh login]

Seems to me like a system library is leaking, abet slowly. Anyone else seen this?

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 7:05 PM

12.2 is out. See if that helps.

Similar questions

1 reply

macOS 12.1 (arm64 aka M1) Memory Leak in several Applications (Safari, Mail, Battle.Net to Name a few)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.