Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airdroping a pdf file to iphone 12

hello

I have a problem with airdropping a pdf from any other device(mac and iPad) to my iPhone.

when I use air drop to send a pdf file, i can hear the notification sound which declares iPhone received a file via airdrop, but it does not show me the file, and also i can not see it in my book.app or adobe reader.app files.

this problem seems to be only for pdfs and any kind of other files are ok in airdropping.

and i must say that i have bought my iphone 12 recently and i used airdrop for photos and pdfs before and it was ok, but this problem has showed up this weak.

how should i fix this problem?

thanx

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 7:43 AM

There are no notifications in the notification centre for AirDrop.

When you AirDrop there is an immediate popup to Accept and then where to store. Watch the GIF below

Before you begin

• Make sure that the person you're sending to is nearby and within Bluetooth and Wi-Fi range.
  • Check that you and the person you're sending to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. If either of you have Personal Hotspot on, turn it off.
  • Check if the person you're sending to has their AirDrop set to receive from Contacts Only. If they do, and you’re in their Contacts, they need to have your email address or mobile number in your contact card for AirDrop to work.
  • If you're not in their Contacts, have them set their AirDrop receiving setting to Everyone in order to receive the file.

You can put your AirDrop receiving setting to Contacts Only or Receiving Off at any time to control who can see your device and send you content in AirDrop.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2022 7:43 AM in response to pikjimeli

There are no notifications in the notification centre for AirDrop.

When you AirDrop there is an immediate popup to Accept and then where to store. Watch the GIF below

Before you begin

• Make sure that the person you're sending to is nearby and within Bluetooth and Wi-Fi range.
  • Check that you and the person you're sending to have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. If either of you have Personal Hotspot on, turn it off.
  • Check if the person you're sending to has their AirDrop set to receive from Contacts Only. If they do, and you’re in their Contacts, they need to have your email address or mobile number in your contact card for AirDrop to work.
  • If you're not in their Contacts, have them set their AirDrop receiving setting to Everyone in order to receive the file.

You can put your AirDrop receiving setting to Contacts Only or Receiving Off at any time to control who can see your device and send you content in AirDrop.

Feb 5, 2022 7:45 AM in response to pikjimeli

For example, if you are AirDropping MP3 files.

The storing process entirely depends on the apps that you have on your device to store and play mp3 files.

See the pic below. I have many other apps which can store and play these files including Apple Files App. If you only have one app say, WhatsApp then there is nothing for the iPhone to get permission for, from the user.

It will open WhatsApp and Store it there else it would seek your permission as in the GIF below.

Feb 5, 2022 8:49 AM in response to SravanKrA

thank you for your detailed response

i try to send from my mac to my iPhone so the popup for accept or decline wont appear,

and when the file is fore example a photo, after airdropping, the transferred photo will open automatically in photo app but the same is not happening for pdf.

so you suggest that i should have another pdf viewer in my iPhone in order to be able to open it after airdropping?

but i do have book and adobe reader already,

is there any way to choose which app opens different sort of files? and I must bold this point that this problem did not exist from the beginning, and it started to happen only in few days.

airdroping a pdf file to iphone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.