Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX - M1 Max - ram problem during render

I am writing again with the same problem. When rendering files from the Sony a7s III, in 4K 50 frames h264 or h265, the frame consumption all the time increases, reaching over 60 gb or more. Very often, with longer projects (over 10 minutes), he receives information about the lack of memory. Shorter projects manage to render, but the consumption is still very high.

The attachment is the Etre file, which I have just scanned while rendering one of the files. The system was put up fresh as suggested earlier in November, and unfortunately that didn't help.

Any ideas or is it just a problem with the latest macs?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2022 1:17 PM

Rafaello, I can confirm that there is a problem editing 4K, 10-bit, h.265 on the M1 series of machines.

I was struggling with the exact problem you describe, and initially I thought it was the Filmconvert plugin. I spent a good deal of time conversing with them about the issue before I ruled it out.

In my case, I shot a documentary using the Sony A7siii in 10-bit, 4K, h.265 mode. The footage looks great and I had tiny files. Editing them is smooth as butter on the M1. HOWEVER when I go to export, the ram usage keeps climbing higher and higher until it hits some sort of maximum and the export fails. This huge RAM usage happens for exporting and also when rendering the timeline. I turned off all plugins, I'm now just using LUTs to apply grades to my footage, it still gets stuck.

The process using up all the RAM is called VTDecoderXPCService, when exporting it jumps up past 64GB on my 16GB machine. VTDecoderXPCService is the background process which also plays back h.265 HEVC content in QuickTime Player, it's a fundamental part of the OS which is responsible for decoding video. It is what talks to the M1's video hardware.

All my footage has LUTs applied, since I work in a log format. So this might be a factor. I will run another test later to see what happens if I remove them all.

In the end, I solved it by transcoding my entire project (a hundred hours of video) into ProRes using the Transcode--->Optimized feature. This was a disappointing solution, since one of the great perks of the h.265 workflow was that it was very portable, and I didn't need a lot of space. However, I can confirm that this solves it, for now.

I would encourage you to submit feedback directly to Apple about the issue, because sticking with the h.265 is an excellent, lean workflow for long documentaries and for travelling.

Feedback - Final Cut Pro - Apple

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2022 1:17 PM in response to Rafaello1337

Rafaello, I can confirm that there is a problem editing 4K, 10-bit, h.265 on the M1 series of machines.

I was struggling with the exact problem you describe, and initially I thought it was the Filmconvert plugin. I spent a good deal of time conversing with them about the issue before I ruled it out.

In my case, I shot a documentary using the Sony A7siii in 10-bit, 4K, h.265 mode. The footage looks great and I had tiny files. Editing them is smooth as butter on the M1. HOWEVER when I go to export, the ram usage keeps climbing higher and higher until it hits some sort of maximum and the export fails. This huge RAM usage happens for exporting and also when rendering the timeline. I turned off all plugins, I'm now just using LUTs to apply grades to my footage, it still gets stuck.

The process using up all the RAM is called VTDecoderXPCService, when exporting it jumps up past 64GB on my 16GB machine. VTDecoderXPCService is the background process which also plays back h.265 HEVC content in QuickTime Player, it's a fundamental part of the OS which is responsible for decoding video. It is what talks to the M1's video hardware.

All my footage has LUTs applied, since I work in a log format. So this might be a factor. I will run another test later to see what happens if I remove them all.

In the end, I solved it by transcoding my entire project (a hundred hours of video) into ProRes using the Transcode--->Optimized feature. This was a disappointing solution, since one of the great perks of the h.265 workflow was that it was very portable, and I didn't need a lot of space. However, I can confirm that this solves it, for now.

I would encourage you to submit feedback directly to Apple about the issue, because sticking with the h.265 is an excellent, lean workflow for long documentaries and for travelling.

Feedback - Final Cut Pro - Apple

Feb 5, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Rafaello1337

The most obvious thing is that you have Chrome-a known enemy of video and professional applications.

You should uninstall Chrome and its abusive “keystone” daemons and agents-see https://chromeisbad.com for why and how.

After uninstalling you will need to delete and redownload FCP.

Secondly, you have several third party plugins, including ColorFinale. Make sure that all of them are compatible with the current version oc FCP. I think that CF in particular hasn’t been updated recently and may not work.

Feb 5, 2022 11:58 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Excellent advice from Luis to completely remove Chrome and the keystone daemons (just trashing the app is not enough) and then reinstalling FCP.

Do you also have a dock connected? If so, you might try removing and testing. Is the LoupeDeck compatible with M1?

Also, not directly related to FCP, but I see you have QNAP software so you are probably using a QNAP NAS with your media. They are great. Please make sure you have updated the firmware to the latest version because there is new ransomware called deadbolt that has attacked many QNAPs beginning last Tuesday. Be extremely careful if you have it exposed to the internet. The deadbolt ransomware will encrypt all your files and the hackers want .03 BTC for a decryption key.

Feb 5, 2022 1:28 PM in response to terryb

Well with footage not colored from A7 III or only mov files (DJI Mavic) and also raw footage h264 from a7s III its not that obvious. Ram stays around 7-9 gb so its normal. But with normal grading the problem is more visible (I see more ram consumption every minute of rendering time) and with heavy grading, effects, etc is usually taking a lot of ram and temperatures of procesor are around 90C - vents don't even start or start on very low level.

Feb 6, 2022 4:35 AM in response to terryb

It looks like in a project where there is coloring, editing sound, image stabilization, applying solders and transitions, this effect is very visible. With an extended project, where there are more tracks, it appears very quickly. With unedited files that are raw, this is not visible, because FCPX may be easier to deal with it when rendering. This problem was not present on MBP 16. It is most visible on h265 files, however on h264 files recorded in HS 4K 50 fps 10 bit format it is the most visible. At 8 bits less.

Feb 6, 2022 9:13 AM in response to Rafaello1337

It sounds like there are two, possibly related, issues? One is that you get an "Out of Memory" error, which is what you should be focused on figuring out. The other is you think there's excessive CPU usage. Is this correct? When you say, "appears very quickly" and is "most visible," do you mean the Out of Memory error or high CPU usage?

Your Etrecheck shows you have the Neat noise reduction plugin, which does a great job but is extremely CPU intensive. H.265 is also a processor intensive codec.

Since you've done a clean install of the OS, a clean install of FCP, completely removed Chrome and its keystone daemons, I would start with a new test library and try to narrow down the culprit that causes Out of Memory. You could start by optimizing the H.265 footage. Make sure you have enough free disk space because the optimized files can be quite large.

Feb 6, 2022 10:23 AM in response to terryb

Thanks for the hints.

The Neat Video plugin is used occasionally - it's not the cause.

Currently, it is testing only on 4K files 50 frames 4: 2: 2 10 bit - h264 codec.

Observing the CPU usage during rendering - very often around 30-50 percent. Fans virtually turned off all the time or possibly 1500 rpm.

I will run various tests on libraries and write the results and maybe we will find out where the problem is.

For sure, I checked copying the entire timeline (which has a problem with the render) to another project, removing all effects and transitions from it - it does not give any result and the problem continues.

Interestingly, in the same library, creating a new project and uploading the same files. Running a render - using the ram all the time around 20 gb (with 64 gb of memory) rather, it should look like this.

Mar 18, 2022 7:11 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

As promised, I updated one of my machines to 12.3 (Monterey) and tested it, it suffers from the same issue. When RAM usage climbs to about 64GB (on that 8GB machine) then I get an out-of-memory warning and the share fails.

Still the only way to successfully export has been to transcode all media to Optimized. It's not an ideal solution so I'm hoping Apple is listening to my feedback.

FCPX - M1 Max - ram problem during render

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.