Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine no longer working

I have been backing up to my Time Capsule for years but it has stopped connecting. I use an AirPort Time Capsule (4th Generation) on my network. I can see it in the Finder window but I cannot get it to complete a backup. It has been "Preparing backup..." for 24 hours now.

I am running macOS Monterey on a MacBook Pro (Retina, Early 2015)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 3:15 PM

Somehow this seems to have solved the issue.

The puzzle remains......we don't know whether it was the backup file that was corrupted, or the hard drive is starting to act up due to age.

I'm overly cautious, though, and won't trust it completely

Good strategy.

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 8, 2022 3:36 PM in response to shorty1956

Unfortunately, all the normal steps to try to get backups going again have failed. Frankly, I doubt that erasing the Time Capsule disk will solve the issue, but there is really nothing else left to try at this point.

If you decide to erase the Time Capsule disk.......

Open AirPort Utility and click on the Time Capsule to select it

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Disks tab at the top of the next window

Click Erase Disk

Select the Zero Out Data option on the next window

Click Erase

The process will take some time.....6-8 hours or so. The Time Capsule indicator light will blink amber during this process. You can watch the progress by opening AirPort Utility.

When the process is done, make sure that "Data" is selected as the backup destination and try to run a backup.

Feb 5, 2022 9:01 PM in response to shorty1956

A 4th Generation Time Capsule is at least 9 years old and as much as 11+ depending on when the product was placed into service. The average useful life of this model was about 5-6 years, so you have had remarkably good luck with the product.

But, even if it were operating "normally", both the power supply and hard drive are overdue to fail, so you would not want to keep any data on the Time Capsule hard drive that you cannot afford to lose......unless.....you are also backing up to another hard drive.

"Preparing" is a tough one. If you stop the process, it has to start all over again from the beginning, so you wind up i n what might be an endless loop. Our normal advice is to let "Preparing" run until the backup completes.....or.....until you see an error message appear on the screen.

The other option would be to erase the Time Capsule hard drive and try to start over again with a new backup. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees that this will solve or help the issue at hand due to the age of the Time Capsule.

Let us know what you decide.

Feb 6, 2022 10:05 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for getting back to me. I knew it was getting up there in years but hadn't even considered it not working anymore. (Don't get me started on my marriage.) To erase it, should I just use the Disk Utility app and format it?

Can I just connect another external hard drive to my router and set it up in Time Machine for automatic backups?

Feb 6, 2022 10:23 AM in response to shorty1956

I would let "Preparing" run until a backup completes......or.....until you see an error message. If an error message appears, post back with the exact text of the message please.

If you decide to erase the Time Capsule disk, you would not use Disk Utility for this. Post back for more instructions if you want to erase the Time Capsule disk, since Disk Utility would only be used for a drive that is connected directly to your Mac via USB or Thunderbolt connection. The Time Capsule is a "network drive", so it requires a different approach for erasure and reformatting.

Can I just connect another external hard drive to my router and set it up in Time Machine for automatic backups?

Yes, if your hard drive is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device that connects to your router using an Ethernet cable connection.

Possibly, if your external drive is a USB drive and your router has a USB port that will support Time Machine backups. Unfortunately, there are very few routers will do this. Synology is one, and some of the upper end Asus routers will as well.

Feb 6, 2022 9:11 PM in response to shorty1956

I receive an error message that says it can't find the backup disk

Unfortunately, erasing the disk is probably not going to help your Mac find the disk on the Time Capsule, so the first task is to get your Mac connecting to the Time Capsule disk.

The disk on the Time Capsule is named "Data" by default.....unless you have manually changed the name of the device.

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences

Click on Select Disk

Look to see if Data appears as disk

If yes, click it to select it, then click Use Disk

Power off the Time Capsule

Restart your Mac

Power the Time Capsule back up again

Time Machine can now find the Data backup disk and run a backup

I only use the Airport Extreme Time Capsule for storage (these backups) and as a hub to connect a couple of things

Time Machine cannot run unless it can find the backup disk on the Time Capsule, no matter whether the Time Capsule is used as a router or a simple storage device.

Feb 8, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the information. "Data" was showing on the list of 'Backup Disks' as well as "Available Disks'. I deleted it from the Backup Disk list and restarted my Mac. I then added it as a b/u disk and powered off my Time Capsule. The Mac did see it and began "Preparing the backup." that ran quite a while. The disk is now showing "Waiting to Complete first back up." and has been since last evening.

Any other ideas?

Feb 10, 2022 7:36 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I followed the steps to erase the Time Capsule. It took about 6 hours. When it was done, my Mac recognized it and started backing up!! The backups have been working since last night (Backups are set to automatic). Somehow this seems to have solved the issue. I'm overly cautious, though, and won't trust it completely. I'll still do monthly backups to a couple of other external drives.

Time Machine no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.